Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best treatment for a cold sore??

(39 Posts)
LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:09:52

Compeed patches are vile, they rip my skin off. Zovirax is expensive and doesn't really work. What else can I try? I have 2 of the bastards. sad

FrumpyPumpy Sat 11-Feb-12 13:13:41

There is a south african cream that is amazing... But I don't know what it's called, nor do I have any or know anyone in SA. confused

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:14:40

grin

I live tge patches tge secret is not to take them off too early. Doesn't really answer your question though sorry.

TBJP Sat 11-Feb-12 13:17:42

This is the answer: www.amazon.co.uk/Virulite-machine-Invisible-treatment-coldsores/dp/B005MQUGM4/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1328965977&sr=1-2.

ssd Sat 11-Feb-12 13:17:44

trust me on this, I had cold sores every month for years before a dentist told me about this

go to your drs, get a prescription for acyclovir tablets, take one a day until you know when flair ups start and you can take the tablets around then (for me its when I'm due)

I tried creams, patches every bloody thing, nothing worked but acyclovir tablets. it sort of dries them up from the inside so you dont have the hideous beleeding and skin cracking when you smile you get with other medicines

phone the gp now!

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:18:37

I leave the patches on for ages but they are vile. I think my body's really pissed with me. I've been on an AF for 14 days. hmm I'm going to go and harass my GP on Monday, I just want to get rid of the coleslaws. sad

highriggs Sat 11-Feb-12 13:18:57

I use them a cream from little herbal company , it is an African cream which has mostly eliminated my cold sores . Also putting ice cubes on the minute I feel the tingle

TBJP Sat 11-Feb-12 13:19:06

This is good too: www.amazon.co.uk/Quantum-SuperLysine-Cream-7g/dp/B000Q44KF6/ref=pd_cp_d_2

highriggs Sat 11-Feb-12 13:20:18

Sorry meant to say it is called themba cream

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:20:26

It's Saturday, the GP isn't open. There was no warning. I woke up yesterday with 2 small ones on the corner of my mouth, there's now a rather large one on my lip. I love the sound of the pills though. smile

TBJP Sat 11-Feb-12 13:20:36

I had a thread last year, some of it might be useful to you: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/1182454-Cold-Sores-your-best-remedies-please?msgid=24627242.

ssd Sat 11-Feb-12 13:20:46

patches are crap

you need acyclovir, it has sorted my awful cold sores out. sometimes when I forget to take them they start to come back, just now i have the tingling on my bottom lip, but know after taking 2 acyclovir a day for a few days it'll come to nothing

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:21:42

{faints at the cost of TBJP's links}

ssd Sat 11-Feb-12 13:21:44

lady, you are the same as me, you get them when you'er due and on (and on, jesus you poor soul)

ssd Sat 11-Feb-12 13:22:26

dont look at links just get acyclovir, if you dont you'll have cold sores until you do

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:24:36

Thank you for the link smile Pharmasist gave me some Fenistil (Penciclovir) so I'm trying that. I've not heard of coffee. I may give that a try later.

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:26:42

Yup. Just when I think it's stopped... {screams} I need to go and get my iron levels checked, that bit inside my eye isn't red any more, it's more like a pale pink colour at the moment. Zovirax doesn't work and it's so expensive.

ssd Sat 11-Feb-12 13:29:57

ok look at link grin

sounds similiar to acyclovir, maybe the same sort of stuff, hope it helps.

just looking at my box from doctors, got spelling wrong!!!!!

i have a box of 56 tablets, 400mg, aciclovir, made by actavis, says on it takes 2 a day, I only take one and thats when I remember...but then the tingling on the lip starts and I know its time to remember them again

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:38:07

I usually don't get the tingly warning, they just appear and then tingle. sad

LadyInPink Sat 11-Feb-12 13:44:10

I have never found Zovirax to fail me. I put it on at the very first sign of it starting and apply it every few hours to zap it on the head - the instructions say just 2x daily or something which is not enough. Will bear in mind the other suggestions once it stops working for me.

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 13:45:53

I think the problem is that I don't get any warning, the blisters just appear so it's too late for anything to work quickly.

TBJP Sat 11-Feb-12 14:44:43

I know the zapper is expensive, but I haven't had to buy any patches or anything since I bought it. Much easier than creams. Haven't HAD a cold sore since I bought it. Two slight tingles, zapped, no coldsore. Of course, could just be that they weren't cold sore tingles anyway, it it hard to tell for me.

LadySybilDeChocolate Sat 11-Feb-12 14:48:49

I don't get the tingles until after it's appeared though.

I don't either, tge zapped has done nothing for me. The reason I go on about the patches is because they stop tge crusting over and splitting and reduce the healing time. And they stop me from being scared to death of passing them onto my babies, I honestly as so paranoid about that you wouldn't believe, my dad gave it to me when I was a baby and I have scares on my chin from picking and scratching as a toddler sad

I've had tge tablets once when I had them inside my nose, had no idea you could take them to prevent them appearing in the first place. I think you are far better doing tgat than trying any other non medicine cures. Hope they work quicky for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now