Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Virus - feel awful and taking ages to recover.

(98 Posts)
Whelk Tue 03-Jan-12 12:35:24

I started with a chesty cough on Boxing Day. The doctor told me it was an Upper Respiratory Infection and that my lungs were clear. Im guessing it was a virus,

The cough has cleared up mostly and up til 2 days a ago I was getting a little better each day but I am so exhausted, nauseaus and dizzy. I have been able to do small things but then have had to lie down to recover for several hours.

I actually felt better 2 days ago but then probably did too much (just looking after the dds) and then suddenly felt dramatically worse, shivering and started with diarrhoea (sorry if tmi) and dry retching, Since then the dizzyness has been terrible and I have no appetitie and terrible nausea (new symptoms)

i did the kids breakfast this morning and had to have a lie down (Crying and I never cry) and now my mum has come to take over. I don't know whether I have something new or whether its just the original infection.

Will i get better? I'm terrified of ME as my mum had it for 5 years and it was awful. I'm so fed up

Whelk Tue 03-Jan-12 12:37:08

So this is day 9 just to be clear.
Sorry that all sounds so moany. I've just had enough and all the googling Ive done either throws up computer viruses or ME

hellhasnofury Tue 03-Jan-12 12:38:58

I think it would be fair to go back to your GP now. You seem to be getting worse, not better.

Whelk Tue 03-Jan-12 12:46:04

Thanks for replying, I think I will

pranma Wed 04-Jan-12 11:56:51

My gp said that the current cough/flu-type virus can take up to 8 weeks in a remission/relapse pattern! I started with this in early November and it has just about gone now. It really has been horrible at times especially the cough.

Whelk Wed 04-Jan-12 12:39:31

Thanks it's the nausea and dizziness that are the worst especially in the morning and just no energy.
God its awful.
I have made another appointment to see the doctor on Friday. I don;t even know if I'll be able to walk there and its just at the end of the road.

I feel like such a wimp.

CFSKate Fri 06-Jan-12 22:01:23

Obviously you are already well aware of what ME is like - if you do think you are at risk please please rest as much as possible

nopostergirl.com/2011/11/30/to-the-newly-diagnosed/

triplets Fri 06-Jan-12 23:32:40

Whelk it sounds like you have what I had! Same symptoms, mine started mid Oct and it was only a week ago I began to feel better. I was going to bed in the afternoon before the kids came back from school, very unlike me! Nothing except hot drinks and rest helped. I hope you feel better soon, its miserable!

Bobby37 Sat 07-Jan-12 13:19:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Whelk Sun 08-Jan-12 10:36:20

Thanks for the link CFSKate although I found it a bit difficult to read feeling as I do.
The doctor thought it was a virus.
Now my calves and forearms ache and I still have the dizziness and nausea and feeling faint. And exhaustion if I do anything.
Its the worst I think I have ever felt.

Whelk Sun 08-Jan-12 18:14:52

Anyone know if any nasty viruses are doing the rounds at the moment?

idotry Sun 08-Jan-12 20:10:58

Is it possible after the initial virus that you could now have a secondary inner ear infection? It's just when you mentioned the nausea and dizzy sensation.... You don't necessarily have to have an earache as a symptom either.

triplets Sun 08-Jan-12 22:47:41

Whelk I felt the same, after 10 weeks I felt really sick, achey and very very tired. Its only the last 2 weeks I have felt better, having said that I am still sneezy! I am sure its viral.

brighthair Sun 08-Jan-12 23:42:04

Have you got a temp?
Last year I had 3 days of norovirus and on the 4th day came down with full on flu. I felt much the same as you describe, the main thing was exhaustion and every bit of my body aching
Hope you feel better soon

BupcakesandCunting Mon 09-Jan-12 00:00:01

I had this over November/December. Only started feeling well on Boxing Day! Mine came the other way round: dizziness, no appetite, nausea first, then the cough/sinuses next. I still have the cough, wheezy chest!

My nurse said that the mild weather is to blame as the viruses aren't dying off quickly in cold weather.

Hang on in there. It will pass. smile

BupcakesandCunting Mon 09-Jan-12 00:01:06

idiotry may be right about ear infections too. My ear is so bunged up that I have developed pulsatile tinnitus. hmm Doc said it's inflammed and can cause dizziness.

Whelk Mon 09-Jan-12 12:42:57

Thanks for your more encouraging replies although i'm sorry to hear about all the illlnesses.

I have been back to the doctor as I was fainting this morning. It was horrendous in the waiting room feeling like i was going to keel over. She is doing some blood tests.

She seemed to think my symptoms were post-viral.

I also now have painful calves and a headache- oh and night sweats and disturned sleep
I have also lost a lot of weight and look pretty dreadful as I have no appetite.

God i's feeling sorry for myself.

Whelk Mon 09-Jan-12 12:49:03

I am - not i is!!! blush

clucky80 Mon 09-Jan-12 12:57:37

Hi Whelk, sorry to hear you have been so poorly. I too have been unwell for weeks. I have to take immunosuppressants because I've had organ transplants and it has been so hard to shift! I was ill for a few weeks, then developed really bad tonsilitis, I couldn't move my neck as it was so swollen, glands up, headache, nausea, dizziness, night sweats and I was just so so tired. I have had 2 lots of antibiotics for the tonsilitis and have been up and down to see my consultant quite a few times. The next step for me was a ct scan and to see an ent surgeon as it was going on so long and you can get some quite serious problems post transplant with simialr symptoms. The last few days thought thankfully I have started feeling a bit brighter and have some more energy. My throat is less sore (I found as the day went by and I got more tired my throat and neck would hurt more) but I am still having night sweats. I do think it is clearing though and that it's just been a really nasty virus. I hope that's what you have too smile In terms of blood tests my white blood count had gone up to 18.4 when I was feeling very poorly and had gone down to 8 last week and my crp has fallen from 26 to 2. Take care and try to have alot of fluids if you can, I wasn't drinking enough and my blood pressure was falling which was making the dizziness worsexx

Whelk Mon 09-Jan-12 14:38:49

That sounds awful Clucky. And with the added worry of your transplant too.

Glad you are OK now.

I seem to be having palpitations now.. Goodness I feel as though Im becoming self-obsessed.
My mum has just taken dd2 to get dd1 from school. How I long for that to be me.

CasaBevron Mon 09-Jan-12 16:51:27

Hi Whelk, sorry you're feeling so low, just tossing my hat into the ring too! I have all the same symptoms as you, can't eat anything and exhausted just taking dd to school - we only live 5 mins away! I started with cough on its own 3 weeks ago and the flu started on Friday. I feel as though I've been dug up...

Am stressing because dd has her bday party this weekend and if she goes down with it I don't know what I'll do confused

Hope you (and I) feel better soon smile

Whelk Mon 09-Jan-12 17:11:32

Casabevron - I'm sorry to hear that too. Can you get someone to take your dd to school for you? I definitely could not manage the walk.

I'm pretty much in bed all day - excepting the hour or so with my dds to remind them of who i am.

The symptoms are varying by the hour almost- earache to add to the mix now!

CasaBevron Mon 09-Jan-12 17:22:52

Well I would ask my mum to do it but she has been told she is in the early stages of bronchial pneumonia and has to have complete bedrest and the strongest ab's ever - We don't do things by halves in our family!

Today's new symptom for me is a strange feeling that I keep getting like when you eat a piece of food that you should have chewed a tiny bit more and you can feel it going down to your stomach, really sharp and painful. Last night I woke up with horrendous back pain and literally unable to move at all shock Ds was in bed with me and all I could think about was what if he wakes up and crawls over the edge?! Very strange indeed...

Whelk Mon 09-Jan-12 17:29:30

Have you been resting today? now my mum is staying i;m trying to rest as much as i can.

CasaBevron Mon 09-Jan-12 17:44:46

Yeah I got in the bath as soon as ds went to sleep, and then did bugger-all for the rest of the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now