We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Very heavy period....feel dizzy and sick....

(13 Posts)
highfive Wed 26-Oct-11 15:17:49

I'm having the period from hell. I'm 48 and probably approaching menopause as my periods are quite erratic at the moment. This one started yesterday morning and today it's so heavy I'm having to wear tampax and a pad and having to change both every 30 mins or so. I'm also feeling dizzy and sick. Anyone got any ideas about how to make myself feel better? We have a house full of visitors with kids and I can't slow down and rest and worse, we are supposed to all be going out for dinner. I feel so wobbly when I walk around that I keep thinking I'll faint if I don't sit down......Ideas or just sympathy appreciated!!!

Thanks...sad

Pascha Wed 26-Oct-11 15:19:14

You sound anaemic from all the blood loss. Please talk to the GP.

highfive Wed 26-Oct-11 15:20:07

Surely can't be anaemic - I only started bleeding heavily this morning!

JosieRosie Wed 26-Oct-11 15:20:37

So sorry highfive And why do these things always happen at the worst times???? Poor you - all I can think of is that you take your usual painkillers, drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol, caffeine and ciggies. Really hope you feel better soon sad

Pascha Wed 26-Oct-11 15:24:15

Ok probably not then, didn't read properly. blush Not running a temp are you? Def take painkillers and drink lots.

BOOareHaunting Wed 26-Oct-11 15:35:29

A collegue has been suffering this (about your age I think?). She has been prescribed tablets from the GP to help with the heavy flow.

PJFanClub Wed 26-Oct-11 16:38:10

I use Boots Cyklo-F Heavy Period Relief tablets when I have a bad one. They are available over the counter but cost about £10. They are tranexamic acid tablets which I now get prescribed by my Dr because it is cheaper.

Or take ibuprofen (not paracetamol) one tablet 200mg tablet every 4-6 hrs can reduce flow by about 25-30%

PJFanClub Wed 26-Oct-11 16:39:48

oh and Lillets do extra super plus tampons

highfive Wed 26-Oct-11 16:57:51

Thank you so much. Will def try the Cyklo tabs - never heard of them before!

wicketkeeper Wed 26-Oct-11 20:11:53

The transexemic acid tablets aren't available over the counter if you're over 45 - basically I think because you really should go to the doc. My doc prescribed them for me while I was waiting for treatment for the underlying cause to start - much cheaper that way!

I put up with the heavy bleeding for 6 months thinking it was menopause related (I'm 50), and then ended up at the GP for something that I thought was unrelated (hard, distended abdomen) - only to discover that both symptoms had the same cause - fibroids.

The dizziness/sick feeling may be due to blood loss (if you were bleeding this much from any other orifice you'd be in the hospital, right?), or it might be worry that you'll bleed through, or that there might be something seriously wrong. All I can suggest is that you cope as best you can and get thee to a doctors as soon as ever possible. If you can't face going out for dinner, say you're not feeling well (which would be true) and take to your room - Victorian ladies did it all the time.

lovetomatoes Sat 29-Oct-11 12:27:35

Re. the how can be anaemic when i've only started bleeding today? Remember that you're not bleeding directly from a vein. The endometrial lining would have been building up over the last couple of weeks, slowly sapping your energy. they day you start bleeding, when you feel weakest, is when your iron stores start getting a break from being depleted. before it all starts again.
so it could be anaemia.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 29-Oct-11 14:51:06

highfive

In such circumstances I'd be insisting to your GP that you are referred to a gynae for further evaluation. Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding and this is impacting on your life. This needs medical attention, don't blithely put up with it without trying to establish the cause.

Tina1212 Wed 05-Apr-17 20:33:06

I'm animic with very low iron I'm having a heavy period and I'm feeling really sick and dizzy can someone suggest anything please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now