Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Squamous cell carcinoma anyone ?

(7 Posts)
Footle Mon 24-Oct-11 20:29:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BelaLugosidreamsofzombiesheep Mon 24-Oct-11 20:40:01

Are you in the UK? This is not directly my area but I was under the impression that usually lesions like this are removed by excision so it can be checked that it has all been removed, or a small biopsy first to confirm then possibly cryotherapy.
As you've also got other lesions you're concerned about I would suggest seeing your GP, and finding out if you can see a different dermatologist for another opinion.

CMOTdibbler Mon 24-Oct-11 20:43:23

Radiotherapy is only used for SCCs round the eyes or nose where they are difficult to remove otherwise - normally they are removed surgically, or killed with chemo cream or cryotherapy. The treatment depends mostly on where they are and the size

Footle Mon 24-Oct-11 20:50:17

BelaLugosidreamsofzombiesheep Mon 24-Oct-11 20:59:48

I think CMOT works in radiotherapy so has more of an idea than me of who they've had in for treatment.
My background is in cervical screening but used to work in histology - the lab where all the removed bits get sent for examination.

My take is always based on if you come out of a consultation unsure or unclear, then ring the consultant's secretary or clinic co-ordinator to get more info and see your GP to talk it through.

Elibean Mon 24-Oct-11 21:55:46

My father had cryotherapy for a SCC on his forehead - its never come back, that was at least 10 years ago. And a friend had one on her back, also cryotherapy as far as I remember.

But neither of them had a consultant with such horrible manners, angry on your behalf and think, in your shoes, I'd want a chat with the GP and a follow-up appointment with a more user-friendly dermatologist!

Footle Mon 24-Oct-11 23:23:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now