Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain behind eye and popping sound in ear-hit in the head a week ago?

(10 Posts)
winnybella Mon 24-Oct-11 19:29:41

My mother walked into a lamp post a week ago and since have been having these symptoms (plus obviously a big bump/bruise on her forehead).

She said the moment her head touched the post she felt the pain behind the eye so that's why she thinks it's connected.

She's only 56 and healthy otherwise.

She doesn't want to go a doctor but at the same time is a bit paranoid about aunerysms, fractures and the like.

Does anyone have an idea what could have caused those symptoms?

winnybella Mon 24-Oct-11 19:30:32

*and since then she has been having- obv.

winnybella Mon 24-Oct-11 19:37:59

bump

Bossybritches22 Mon 24-Oct-11 19:42:48

Get her to a doctor!

If she has a fracture or anything else we aren't the people to diagnose this!

Hopefully it's only concussion but PLEASE get her seen.

winnybella Mon 24-Oct-11 19:46:59

I don't think she has had a concussion as no symptoms (dizziness, nausea etc).

It happened almost a week ago and she lives in a different country.

I was hoping someone might have had a similar experience smile

winnybella Mon 24-Oct-11 20:24:16

Anyone?

greasychip Mon 24-Oct-11 20:42:49

Is she having any flashing lights or floaters in her eyes? Could be a detached retina, if so it's a medical emergency to operate as need to be quick to prevent blindness. Often occurs after a bump to the head apparently. Get her to see a dr or optician ASAP I reckon. Hope all is well.

winnybella Mon 24-Oct-11 20:56:19

Thanks, greasychip. She didn't mention anything like that but she's almost bling in that eye anyway (extremely shortsighted and astigmatism).

I told her to see a doctor but I'm not sure she will hmm

greasychip Mon 24-Oct-11 21:00:56

I wonder if that increases the risk of retinal detachment? Not sure but might be worth a google. It would be difficult for her to notice any changes in her vision in that eye so even more reason to get checked out!! It's so frustrating when you can't make her go. A phone call to an optician by her, or even by you, might shed some light on it.

winnybella Mon 24-Oct-11 21:09:56

Hmm. Might call my ophtalmo tomorrow. Where she lives, healthcare is a bit crap unless you go private (so you can't just call and ask for a doc's opinion iyswim, you need to make an appointment and wait 2 weeks). Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now