Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Restless legs (night time)

(15 Posts)
Creamcake1 Sun 23-Oct-11 23:09:42

Does anyone ever have this problem - when u go to bed and can't get to sleep because your legs become tingly and you feel you need to keep moving them it very irritating, don't know why this happens, is it a circulation problem?

topsi Mon 24-Oct-11 08:50:47

Magnesium supplements are supposed to be good

WeeLors Mon 24-Oct-11 13:42:44

I have this too, have had it since I was a child. Unfortunately, I don't think they know what causes it exactly and different people find different things that help. I have found mine gets worse if I'm really stressed/busy or overtired before going to bed or if I've had too much caffiene. Some people find magnesium or iron supplements help and I've found that taking a hot bath or doing a few squats or lunges usually gets rid of it for me. There are prescription medicines you can get but don't know that they're that successful (my doc wouldn't prescribe anything for me because quote"Thats something only old people get". I was only in my early 20s at the time and had suffered since childhood).

Have a look at this link for more info www.rls.org/

HTH

TheVampireEmpusa Mon 24-Oct-11 13:43:55

I struggle with this too. No idea of solutions, I tend to end up just pacing around the flat till I pass out.

mumtoted Mon 24-Oct-11 13:55:18

I was going to say magnesium too.

HOMEMADECHUTNEY Mon 24-Oct-11 14:37:10

Dh gets this, and he finds valerian tablets really help.

Creamcake1 Mon 24-Oct-11 16:57:29

Thanks, i think the hot bath eases it, thanks for the advice, will look into other things.

wicketkeeper Mon 24-Oct-11 16:59:32

Tonic water. The gin is optional.

I first started to have restless leg syndrome when I was pregnant with DC1. It went away until I was pregnant again, but as I've got older I get it more often, mostly when I'm tired and also in situations where I know I can't just get up and move around (partly psychological??) eg when in the car (but only if I'm a passenger, never if I'm driving), in the cinema/theatre.

I find that having a drink of tonic water really helps - it contains quinine, which is a muscle relaxant, so that makes sense. Bitter lemon also works, but I'm not so keen on it.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Mon 24-Oct-11 17:02:09

Iron tablets work for me after a few days.

boohoohoo Mon 24-Oct-11 17:14:11

Yes I suffer too it's really awful but I did hear that there are new tablets out and that they now believe that it's caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain ( tbh can't remember where I heard this!) but as I don't have it often at the moment I do the hot bath and have, ah ah can't remember the blinking name, a drug used for the treatment of malaria, anyone help me out here?

boohoohoo Mon 24-Oct-11 17:15:45

Quinine, a couple of posts up, doh I'm no help at all am I sorry blush

Creamcake1 Mon 24-Oct-11 17:42:54

Yes I started getting this when I was pregnant with first child, sometimes I don't get it at all and times when it won't go away, funny how it comes and goes, will try tonic water, worth a shot!

Almostfifty Mon 24-Oct-11 20:49:31

I had it when I was breastfeeding one child. He was a summer baby and it was a very hot summer (yes, honestly) and I put it down to not drinking enough (liquid not alcohol) so made sure I had a decent amount to drink in the evenings and took a glass of water to bed with me.

It seemed to help.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 25-Oct-11 14:01:37

This is very common in diabetic patients, lots of ideas how it happens but no one has yet identified a cause afaik.

Creamcake1 Tue 25-Oct-11 14:09:59

Funny you say that, when I was pregnant my sugar levels were up and down but not now, though diabetes is in the family.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now