Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD's thumb nail is about to fall off <<eeew>>. How long do they take to grow back?

(6 Posts)
Meglet Sun 23-Oct-11 15:49:08

It's years since I lost a nail in childhood so I can't remember the drill confused.

3yo DD's thumb was run over by a trike wheel last week and now the nail is hanging off by the roots so I daresay it will fall out in a couple of days. We just leave it until it grows back don't we? I'm assuming it will take a couple of months to grow back?

Her thumb seems fine, she doesn't freak if I touch it and she can still pick things up so I'm sure it's just cosmetic damage.

TIA.

brighthair Sun 23-Oct-11 16:34:21

My toenail fell off. Actually it was hanging off, dad pretended to trim it then pulled it off angry
Can't remember how long it took but it did grow back fine, and it's not the first time I've lost (the same) toenail
(horses + my feet = bad idea)

Beamur Sun 23-Oct-11 16:36:56

It will grow up again out of the nail bed, so at the same rate the nail normally grows.

Meglet Sun 23-Oct-11 17:22:12

brighthair I'm wincing at the thought of having a nail pulled off. I keep putting a plaster over DD's nail to stop her catching it.

She did manage to chew the nail that was flapping about. <<boak>>

Beamur Sun 23-Oct-11 18:58:42

My DP lost both of his big toenails - he got blisters under them doing the Great North Run! Looked a bit grim but they heal up and the nail slowly regrows.

kunahero Sun 23-Oct-11 19:19:22

I know that big toe nails take 2-3 years to regrow completely.

Once they have fallen off through damage they quite often do not grow back the same so keep an eye on it as they can grow back thicker, curved or discoloured.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now