Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

itchy legs.....

(5 Posts)
ThoseArentSpiritFingers Sat 22-Oct-11 16:23:27

I have had itchy legs now for about 5 weeks. Its not gone away/got any better, and its only below my knees, so not on my thighs at all

About halfway down my calf, on the inner leg side of my left leg, there is a rough red patch about the size of a two penny piece, maybe slightly bigger, and something similar is starting to appear on the other leg at the same place. These patches are more itchy than the rest of the leg, but they are still itchy all over.

When I scratch, it doesnt really satisfy the itch as it feels like the itch is 'inside' the leg, and no matter where abouts I scratch, it doesnt quite go deep enough IYKWIM?

I Haven't changed washing powder or anything recently, no change that would have brought this on, tried not shaving my legs for two weeks, to see if that was irritating it, but there was no change and I caved to vanity and started shaving again as it was making no difference whether I did or not.

I know im probably going to have to see my GP because of the length of time its been there, but does anyone have any idea of what it might be?

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 22-Oct-11 22:06:37

Could be: excema, dermatitis, ringworm - anything! Do a google image search for those things and see if any bit looks like yours.

Have you recently is put the heating on, either in the house or the car? That can make your skin VERY dry, and skin can itch then - and maybe the red patches are form scratching?

pinkstarlight Mon 24-Oct-11 13:48:08

i dont mean to be rude but could this be because of fleas as these usually effect the lower legs,these can get inflamed some people react and need anti biotics.

MrsVoltar Mon 24-Oct-11 13:55:10

I think its eczema. My legs get really dry in winter, don't know why & I always have to moisturise or will get eczema. And yes, its reallllly itchy!

Once the red patches of eczema are there (round ones are 'discoid' and I get on both shins) need a steroid cream to put away, usually something stronger than hydrocortisone.

If you can, I'd show your local pharmacist, they should know & if not, will tell you to go to GP.
HTH

Mouseketool Tue 25-Oct-11 14:38:03

I have similar and it's borderline eczema. Someone on S&B recommended Aveeno. It's a lotion from Boots and it's fab - I haven't had an itch since I started using it after each shower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now