Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken Pox in 12 year old

(4 Posts)
idotry Sat 22-Oct-11 16:17:37

My 12 year old has been ill with fever for the past two days. Today I've noticed a small blister on his collar bone which I then went on to google and it seems to be resembling chicken pox. As far as I'm aware he has never had chicken pox as a youing child - so I am assuming this maybe it! My question is, should I be more diligent because he is older than the average chicken pox victim or just continue giving him calpol while he lays there feeling crap? How long will he feel like this?

AKMD Sat 22-Oct-11 21:29:50

12 years old is old enough for 'proper' paracaetemol rather than Calpol smile

Give him 5 days of feeling pretty rough, then he should start perking up (but still be very spotty). The NHS Choices section on chicken pox has some useful information on what to look for if it becomes more serious.

idotry Sat 22-Oct-11 22:21:23

Many thanks for replying. He hasn't been ill in so long that it later dawned on me that @ the age of 12 he is ready to progress to parcetemol.

AKMD Mon 24-Oct-11 10:21:56

My mum decided I could have proper paracaetemol after receiving a call at work from the school nurse to say I had a headache and what could she give me? My mum said 'ohhh, she usually has calpol' and the nurse was like hmm My mum was blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now