Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

HAIR FALLING OUT AND VERY ITCHY SCALP (GRAVES DISEASE, HAD RAI TREATMENT)

(4 Posts)
zara206y Fri 21-Oct-11 12:56:11

Ok again ladies i am on her for advice (have other threads). Will keep it short..Have got Graves Disease amongst other issues..had RAI treatment in Aug. Hair loss is immense...all over floor etc when i shower i have to unblock the plug when i have washed my hair. Also my scalp itches like crap...looks like i have nits (i havent - i checked). But what can i do? My scalp is going red from itchin. I decided to have my waist length hair cut off in Aug as i couldnt cope with it all over the floor - its now shoulder length. Hate itching! Any ideas what i can do?

Timetochange70 Sat 22-Oct-11 00:27:03

hi
I had similar about 4 years ago.Went hyper for a while and hair loss itchy scalp and I too have waist length hair. I ended up having 2 days off work as I just couldn't stop crying one morning brushing my hair and watching huge long strands fall to the ground.
firstly get you bloods checked ASAP you may need a medication review.
You may have had a storm a few months ago and your hair is coming out now but will thicken up again again in a few weeks.

I researched everything and what worked best for me was gently washing my hair daily in t gel shampoo.
Then used a good conditioner and serum called mores an oil.
I read somewhere about rubbing pure coconut oil into scalp and can't remember if I did it or. Ot but it's great for my nails now !
The T Gel tho was fAb and my bf bought me a decent air brush also.
oogle. Thyroid forums there's a really good one. Used to go on for support .
hope you feel better soon x

Timetochange70 Sat 22-Oct-11 00:27:59

sorry that's Morracan oil

zara206y Sat 22-Oct-11 11:00:24

Thanks for that advice...My last bloods were showing that my TSH was very low, the Endocrinologist said that its not kicked into working yet as it was only aug when i had the RAI. I have another BT booking in next thursday so will see what is happening then. I am on NO medications at the moment. I did pick up that T Gel yesterday in Boots and put it back and ended up buying shampoo made by 'Simple', as thought maybe i have had a reaction to the one i was using. Although i know it isnt as my hair started thinning out ages ago. Anyway did buy some stuff called Perfectail? Vitamins i think lol does hair,nails and skin -apparently! But i will try the T Gel tho.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now