Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

glucose tolerance test

(9 Posts)
lijaco Fri 21-Oct-11 09:24:06

Hi

I have to have a glucose tolerance test as my blood sugars came back as 6.3. Anybody know what this test is like? Also is it necessary as I don't think my results were that bad just over really as they should be between 3-6.
Don't fancy the idea of fasting and drinking a sugary drink sad and staying within the doctors surgery for two hours!!

Footle Fri 21-Oct-11 11:41:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lijaco Fri 21-Oct-11 13:14:47

Thanks for the reply Footle This was a blood test I had taken because of feeling unwell in general. So I hadn't been fasting.
If you had the glucose tolerance test how did it make you feel after the sugary drink? Don't like the idea of fasting and feeling pretty nervous because when I don't eat a breakfast I feel light headed and don't want to be feeling like that in a waiting room.
Feel a little apprehensive and worried about this sad
I know it sounds silly..

Bunbaker Fri 21-Oct-11 13:20:23

Please don't ignore the medical professionals. They don't offer any kind of testing for fun, and obviously have concerns about your health. If you did have undiagnosed GD it has health implications for you and your baby.

Our GP always does fasting blood tests first thing in the morning, so you could ask for an early appointment.

creepypantsandzombierags Fri 21-Oct-11 14:58:23

Are you pregnant OP? Not sure if we're talking about GD or not smile

If you had eaten something carby before your test then 6.3 isn't high. You need to have a fasting blood test taken in order to get a clear picture.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Fri 21-Oct-11 15:02:45

It's not too bad tbh. I had one last week at 28 weeks pregnant. I'm also not good at not eating or drinking and feel very faint in the mornings. I was on water only from 10pm the previous night and the test was at 8.30am.The glucose drink was pretty grim but because it's an energy drink, pretty much, it does see you through for the two hours and I didn't feel too bad at all.

lijaco Fri 21-Oct-11 15:33:52

Hi bunbaker I am not pregnant but not felt well for a while so I went to doctors and they advised me to have blood tests. I feel lightheaded if I don't eat a breakfast so it was concerning me fasting and staying in surgery for two hours.

Footle Fri 21-Oct-11 17:18:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bunbaker Fri 21-Oct-11 19:44:14

Hi lijaco
Sorry I made that assumption. I shouldn't have, but Footle is right you do need to be tested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now