Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

the most painful mouth ulcer!

(28 Posts)
chrispackhamslovebunny Thu 20-Oct-11 20:17:00

i am prone to ulcers especially when a little run down (which i always seem to be these days)

normally i can cope with the usual bonjela or nothing but i have one on the underside of my tongue and i cant talk or eat - its just too painful - feels like being stabbed in the tongue with needles every time i move my tongue to talk or to eat....

does anyone know of anything stronger than bonjela that will totally numb it up so i can ladle some soup down? its killing me!
<wimp emoticon>

NoodieRoodie Thu 20-Oct-11 20:21:34

not much help for you know but I have tried most things over the years and have found that tea tree oil is the best thing for ulcers.

As soon as you feel the first tingle dab a bit on and it seems to stop them in their tracks. It does taste foul but it works and it doesn't hurt, unlike some prescription stuff I tried that I had to psych myself up to use as the pain of applying it was so bad!

If you have some put it on now and it should help a bit.

chrispackhamslovebunny Thu 20-Oct-11 20:35:37

Thanks, not got any but I will do , I got no warning with this one- just felt like a tastebud coming off then next day had a bloody huge ulcer!

kingprawntikka Thu 20-Oct-11 23:43:58

There is something you can buy, I'm sorry I don't know what it's called . It costs about 8 pounds for just two applications.Boots sell it.

kingprawntikka Thu 20-Oct-11 23:48:39

I think its called Oralmedic.

chrispackhamslovebunny Fri 21-Oct-11 00:07:16

thanks - will check it out

betheldeath Fri 21-Oct-11 00:09:58

There's a thing in boots that you can put on it and it freezes them off. OR something to that effect.

It leaves you with a weird sensation afterwards and is very stingy but works a treat

BleedyGhoulzombiez Fri 21-Oct-11 00:10:22

Poor you! Corsodyl mouthwash worked for me. Sluice for about 30 seconds or you won't be able to taste your food for days. Apart from that it's excellent stuff.

fraktious Fri 21-Oct-11 05:17:20

I second the mouthwash! It zapped my crater in 3 days after it had hung around for a week or so.

chrispackhamslovebunny Fri 21-Oct-11 12:29:24

thanks - ive been sluicing! i found some Corsodyl in the bathroom cabinet....i completely forget we had it.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 21-Oct-11 19:15:58

Thanks for this Mumsnet oracles. Just been to the docs with mine, have been in agony for days can barely close my mouth and can't taste properly, bit of a problem as I am a cook!

Sent DH off to buy some Corsodyl.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 21-Oct-11 21:09:37

Message withdrawn

ThoseArentSpiritFingers Sat 22-Oct-11 16:30:48

I get them regularly as well, normally with my cycle, or if im stressed/run down.

I recently discovered corsodyl, and it works really well for me. for my bigger ulcers, it stings like hell, I'll have tears down my face with how stingy it is, but by the next day its soooo much better. I try and use corsodyl regularly ie a couple of times a week to prevent them. I dont know if thats how it works, but I havnt had any in a while now.

But i really feel for you, some people are more susceptible to them, and i think it might be genetic as I know my mum gets them quite a lot as welll

peeriebear Sat 22-Oct-11 16:38:44

DH is very prone to mouth ulcers and uses Corsodyl regularly to keep them away; he gets them a LOT less than he used to. He has also cut out foaming toothpastes (the ones with sodium lauryl sulphate in) and cut right down on caffeinated coffee.

chrispackhamslovebunny Sat 22-Oct-11 19:58:47

im so glad someone suggested Corsodyl - its loads better today, i found i could actually speak for the first time in days!
thanks all

BleedyGhoulzombiez Sat 22-Oct-11 20:03:52

Hurraaaaaaaaahhhhh!

grin

HerbWoman Sun 23-Oct-11 21:21:41

Recurrent mouth ulcers can be a sign of coeliac.
RidingAlong that might apply to your mum too, as coeliac is also genetic.

ThoseArentSpiritFingers Sun 23-Oct-11 22:32:16

Herb, do you think it could be a possibility if thats the only symptom thats showing? have been to the doctors and the dentist about mouth ulcers and no-one ever mentioned coeliac to me, but now have a repeat prescription for corsodyl so that I can get it free.

mawbroon Sun 23-Oct-11 22:36:16

I used to use some paste which I don't remember the name of. It was very dry and I think it was grey. It sort of sealed the ulcer off and made it bearable.

They are miserable aren't they sad DS1 suffers from them a lot and I think they are related to his reflux.

HerbWoman Mon 24-Oct-11 16:28:07

RidingAlong wouldn't hurt to check. Coeliac can affect so many functions in the body because it can cause deficiencies in many nutrients. Not everyone gets digestive symptoms. I had anaemia and have borderline osteoporosis, but before I was diagnosed had little in the way of digestive problems, except heartburn. Because of that it can take years for a doctor to think of testing for it. Took mine at least 15 years!

whereismywine Mon 24-Oct-11 19:57:45

Bonjela One ( or once) is 7.99 in tesco but they sell it in poundland! Hurts like f**k to put it on but normally gets rid of mine in one go. It kind of seals/burns them I think. Has been an amazing find for me. Be wary of it near your lips though - I got a bad case of trout pout once!

Goober Mon 24-Oct-11 20:01:39

Throat spray is bloody good on mouth ulcers. The anaesthetic kind. I suffer from geographic tongue which is agony while eating. Throat spray is the only way to eat.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Oct-11 20:18:08

FIl is Gp and he used to recommend adcortyl in orobase which you can get otc
IIRC

Ulcers are grim so sympathies to you.
usual MNHQ disclaimers apply

chrispackhamslovebunny Tue 25-Oct-11 01:37:41

thank you!
you can get that over the counter? ill write it in my diary...ive had loads lately but this one was unbearable. the mouth wash worked but i would gladly throw everything under the sun at them - forewarned for next time.
cheers

recall Tue 25-Oct-11 01:58:42

how about clove oil for a quick fix

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now