Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Injections - why there?

(7 Posts)
wicketkeeper Thu 20-Oct-11 15:42:39

I've just started a course of injections, which are done into my stomach. And it's got me thinking - some injections are done into the arm, some are into the bum, and these are into the stomach - why?

lubeybooby Thu 20-Oct-11 15:45:19

I'd like to know too. <place marking>

meebles Thu 20-Oct-11 15:56:03

it depends on if the medication needs to be given into the muscle, or the subcutaneous fat, and also the volume that will be given as to the choice of site.

ninjanurse Thu 20-Oct-11 15:56:32

Some injections are to be done subcutaneously ie, just under the skin so they will use tummy or arm. Others need to go into the muscle, so they will use thigh or upper outer quadrant of the buttock. Hope this helps smile

wicketkeeper Fri 21-Oct-11 10:57:03

Thank you!!

wonkylegs Fri 21-Oct-11 20:15:37

Different drugs need to be delivered in different ways if you are getting injected in your stomach then its probably subcutaneous (into fat) and this hurts less in your stomach or thigh , altho some people also use the back of the top of the arm (altho with larger needles this can hurt more)
I have to self inject in my thigh [oww] , there isn't enough there to inject into my tummy altho I hear this is the least painful place

cardamomginger Sun 23-Oct-11 16:14:51

Yeah - I had to have a course of injections subcutaneously and they did them in the stomach. This was pre-kids and when I was at my fittest and most toned (gets misty-eyed at the memory). You could have bounced a coin off my abs. I didn't have a 6-pack, I had an 8-pack. No fat there at all. So it hurt like hell grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now