Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Kidneys

(7 Posts)
BertieBotts Wed 19-Oct-11 11:16:07

I had a bad kidney infection a few weeks ago. It was a while until it was picked up and I ended up in hospital on IV antibiotics. I'm now getting the exact same pain again, without feeling unwell - in the same place. So assuming it is kidneys as well.

I've got a doctor's appointment this afternoon but I'm just wondering what they are likely to do? Is there a test they can do there? Am I likely to have to go into hospital again? sad I really hope not as it was quite stressful for DS, and DP can't really afford to take more time off work ATM.

Am hoping they can just give me oral antibiotics to nuke it this time. I don't feel unwell, like I did before, so hopefully it's not as bad as it was then. Can anyone reassure me?

BertieBotts Wed 19-Oct-11 11:27:23

Also, is it worth taking paracetamol now? The appointment is in about 5 hours, so it should have worn off by then anyway.

HidingInTheHonsCupboard Wed 19-Oct-11 11:38:04

Definitely worth taking the painkillers - it won't make any difference to what they do. And take some more in four hours too - don't let the pain back in!
In the light of 20+ years of almost constant kidney infections, I suggest an extremely hot hot water bottle applied to your back as well. It usually helps to take the edge off.
They should do an MSU at the very least, and check your temperature. If they refer you to hospital they might have a look with an ultrasound machine to check for swelling etc.

BertieBotts Wed 19-Oct-11 11:49:14

Yes they did an ultrasound when I was in last time. What's an MSU - is that a urine test? I haven't had a UTI this time.

It seems to be increasing quite alarmingly so I'm going to phone now to see if they can fit me in any earlier - if not at least I know I have the appointment later.

BertieBotts Wed 19-Oct-11 17:03:29

Well, doctor reckons I have muscular back pain. I feel a bit fobbed off TBH. But he said I'd show more symptoms before it became serious anyway. It just feels exactly like it did before.

bobblyears Thu 20-Oct-11 15:40:13

Don't mess around with your kidneys. For about 20 years - yes that's right, I thought I had a bit of grit in my kidney. Huh! eventually...I went to a Doc. who sent me for an Ultra sound, CT scan and MRI. I had a malignant lump in my kidney. Thank God it was a slow moving thing. It was removed along with the kidney. I was so fortunate. If you dont get the answers your looking for from your Doc. ask, no, push for a second opinion. Your entitled. Kidneys are rather precious.

bobblyears Thu 20-Oct-11 15:41:25

p.s. I don't wish to alarm anyone but as I said Kidneys are rather precious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now