Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How to build confidence & self-esteem?

(9 Posts)
Rogers1 Wed 19-Oct-11 09:30:58

I have always been low in both confidence & self-esteem (except when pregnant). I have lost all (if not more) of all baby weight but have reverted back to having low self-esteem & confidence.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build these?

topsi Wed 19-Oct-11 14:34:06

Do you work? For me my confidence has improved after finding a career that I was interested in which gave me an out let from just being a mum. Start small though otherwisw you may become overwhelmed. I started working one day a week and have gradually built up hours over the years since DS was borne. I still have lowish self esteem but feeling that you are good at something helps to boost you a bit.

Rogers1 Wed 19-Oct-11 14:36:35

Thank u topsi....I have started working a few hours Saturday & Sunday mornings. I enjoy my job. I just can't shake off this feeling of not being good enough...despite my DH being very supportive & loving.

Jessicaalbastwin Wed 19-Oct-11 19:39:39

Hi have you tried cbt? that can do wonders for self esteem. My cousin had it and swears by it. Maybe join a local class or go out with a friend, get a new hairstyle, new wardrobe ( if you can) and keep telling yourself " I AM GORGEOUS".

Rogers1 Wed 19-Oct-11 19:50:06

CBT did work once before...will definetly look in to it again...thank u.
I like the mantra...!
I just can't shake the feeling....I'm not bragging...but I have everything I could want...DH...DS & a lovely home. Just feel low on myself.
Thank u all for suggestions. Appreciate it

topsi Thu 20-Oct-11 09:28:13

Are you a bit depressed?

Rogers1 Thu 20-Oct-11 09:33:48

I have been feeling low topsi for quite a while due to health & family issues.
I'm trying to sort both issues in hope it will improve my confidence & self-esteem.

topsi Fri 21-Oct-11 10:04:40

Have you spoken to your GP?
Don't forget what you are achieving, you are working part time and you are working towards sorting things out, and you are a mum.
If you keep plugging away at things then eventually you will reap the rewards!

Rogers1 Fri 21-Oct-11 10:10:25

Hi topsi..no I haven't spoken to my GP for a long time...they put it down to the high levels of synthetic hormones I had to take for so long after I had my DS.
I guess I don't see it so much as 'achieving' as 'just getting on with things'. My family (as you may have seen in my other threads) are a big factor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: