Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to build confidence & self-esteem?

(9 Posts)
Rogers1 Wed 19-Oct-11 09:30:58

I have always been low in both confidence & self-esteem (except when pregnant). I have lost all (if not more) of all baby weight but have reverted back to having low self-esteem & confidence.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build these?

topsi Wed 19-Oct-11 14:34:06

Do you work? For me my confidence has improved after finding a career that I was interested in which gave me an out let from just being a mum. Start small though otherwisw you may become overwhelmed. I started working one day a week and have gradually built up hours over the years since DS was borne. I still have lowish self esteem but feeling that you are good at something helps to boost you a bit.

Rogers1 Wed 19-Oct-11 14:36:35

Thank u topsi....I have started working a few hours Saturday & Sunday mornings. I enjoy my job. I just can't shake off this feeling of not being good enough...despite my DH being very supportive & loving.

Jessicaalbastwin Wed 19-Oct-11 19:39:39

Hi have you tried cbt? that can do wonders for self esteem. My cousin had it and swears by it. Maybe join a local class or go out with a friend, get a new hairstyle, new wardrobe ( if you can) and keep telling yourself " I AM GORGEOUS".

Rogers1 Wed 19-Oct-11 19:50:06

CBT did work once before...will definetly look in to it again...thank u.
I like the mantra...!
I just can't shake the feeling....I'm not bragging...but I have everything I could want...DH...DS & a lovely home. Just feel low on myself.
Thank u all for suggestions. Appreciate it

topsi Thu 20-Oct-11 09:28:13

Are you a bit depressed?

Rogers1 Thu 20-Oct-11 09:33:48

I have been feeling low topsi for quite a while due to health & family issues.
I'm trying to sort both issues in hope it will improve my confidence & self-esteem.

topsi Fri 21-Oct-11 10:04:40

Have you spoken to your GP?
Don't forget what you are achieving, you are working part time and you are working towards sorting things out, and you are a mum.
If you keep plugging away at things then eventually you will reap the rewards!

Rogers1 Fri 21-Oct-11 10:10:25

Hi topsi..no I haven't spoken to my GP for a long time...they put it down to the high levels of synthetic hormones I had to take for so long after I had my DS.
I guess I don't see it so much as 'achieving' as 'just getting on with things'. My family (as you may have seen in my other threads) are a big factor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now