Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Losing blood

(9 Posts)
Iamseeingstars Wed 19-Oct-11 08:14:52

Does anyone have any experience of losing blood within their body but it not showing up in urine, poos or as a period? There are no bruises and no strange marks on body

Northernlurker Wed 19-Oct-11 08:35:38

You can't lose it without it showing up somewhere. Are you anaemic?

Iamseeingstars Wed 19-Oct-11 08:49:55

Very anaemic and I was wondering if you could bleed internally without it being obvious. Any conditions that anyone might know about?

CMOTdibbler Wed 19-Oct-11 09:18:12

You need to look for reasons for the anaemia - either you aren't getting enough iron, its not being absorbed, you aren't producing enough red blood cells or they aren't lasting long enough. Internal bleeding always shows up.

If you are v anaemic and iron supplementation isn't helping, you should be being tested for theunderlying cause

larrygrylls Wed 19-Oct-11 09:27:25

Are you sure it is not showing up in your stool? If you have a bleeding ulcer high up in the GI tract then your stool will be black, not red, as the iron has been digested.

HAve you been tested for your haemoglobin levels recently?

EightToSixer Wed 19-Oct-11 15:32:31

What is your haemoglobin level? and ferritin? and are you pre or post menopausal?
I have this problem as well. The first I knew about the problem was when I went for a blood test for feeling rubbish, hair falling out, faintness and exhaustion and got called straight in to the hospital for a 3 unit blood transfussion. My Haem was 6.8 and ferritin was 3.
The blood transfussion got my haem up to 10, but the iron tablets that I took for the six weeks after that didn't increase it at all.
In the first instance if you are pre-menopausal you will probably be referred to gynae - to check if you have heavy periods that are causing the problem. I've had an ultrasound scan and I'm waiting for the results, but really don't think that it's gynae.
I've now been referred to haematology because it seems more likely that I'm not absorbing enough iron from food/iron tablets; or that the red blood cells aren't being produced or are dying too quickly.
They also asked me about blood in my stools but I don't think I have that problem (unless its so minor not to notice) though they can do a test on faeces called faecal occult which checks for this if you're not sure.
Sorry, I'm not much help - but I guess I'm about 3 months ahead down the line of where you might be referred, which may help a bit - and knowing that you're not in this alone!
I ended up having 10 weeks off work while they got my iron levels up - I'm back at work this month, but still have regular bouts of utter exhaustion and bone-tiredness, but it's better for my mental health to be in work and be around people than be off sick any longer.
I hope you get to the bottom of this quickly. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

Iamseeingstars Wed 19-Oct-11 18:31:50

Thanks everyone. I thnk you have answered the question re there must be signs.
I have leukemia but my HB is vastly lower than expected and am going into hospital for them to investigate where else I might be losing blood. Was hoping someone might have been able to give me an insight of how you can lose blood without knowing about it.

Northernlurker Wed 19-Oct-11 19:45:21

I assume they've checked your renal function?

nightcat Wed 19-Oct-11 22:50:44

some meds can cause that, have you checked for side effects of any meds you are on? Also, are you vegeterian? Coz iron from supplements is not always absorbed as well as from red meat. Another cause could be low stomach acid or antacids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now