Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Beta blockers for migraines

(10 Posts)
bigfatgypsy Tue 18-Oct-11 20:59:18

Does anyone take beta blockers for migraines? Can anyone advise me on side effects, when to take them etc?

My dr has told me to take 80mg of propranalol once a day for 2 weeks and if my migraines aren't improving to increase that to 80mg twice a day. I also have sumatriptan for attacks.

Does anyone else take this combo? To be honest I don't really like the sound of the bbs but if they help I'll try them.

TarkaLiotta Tue 18-Oct-11 21:15:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littleover Tue 18-Oct-11 21:30:07

I have taken 2 50mg atenolol tablets a day for 3 years now and I have not had a migraine since. I put up with them as a teenager and they increased to 1 a fortnight that would last three or four days after I had my children. I saw my GP, got a cancellation appointment at our local hospital and my life changed a couple of days after that. The consultant said that this drug worked for some people and that I should try it before we tried anything else. No side effects apart from getting a bit light headed when getting up from sitting on the floor (not that it happens often). Wished I'd done it years ago, I would have done better at school, work, relationships and not wasted half my life in a darkened room with an icepack on my forehead! At least my girls have a mum who isn't ill most of the time!

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 18-Oct-11 21:32:23

Yes, I took atenolol until I was pregnant. They did help but I still got headaches. I haven't taken them back up as I have less frequent attacks now but I would recommend them!

bigfatgypsy Wed 19-Oct-11 20:25:15

Thanks they sound promising. I just feel a bit nervous about taking them as the side effects list looks quite long. Is it ok to stay on them long term?

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 19-Oct-11 21:16:07

My mam has been on them for as long as I can remember!

RichTeaAreCrap Wed 19-Oct-11 22:03:36

I am on exactly the same beta blockers bigfatgypsy. I also have sumitriptan for attacks.

I have been taking them for about 3 months now. They do seem to be helping but I am not convinced that they have taken more than 50% of mine away. I was given them because I am dizzy all the time - the doctors are convinced this is due to migraine so put me on the beta blockers. I am not convinced because I do still get the dizziness. The other problem I have is that they are lowering my blood pressure quite a lot so I may need to come off them.

They haven't made me any more tired - my sleep is a bit more disturbed (nothing I can't cope with though) and I have vivid dreams! I also got quite dull achey calves when I started on them but that seems to have worn off now.

dizzyblonde Thu 20-Oct-11 10:41:17

I'm on 80mg of propranolol for a tremor and have had no side effects at all. Been on them for a year now, I can't speak for their effectiveness for migraines though.

KaFayOLay Thu 20-Oct-11 14:24:06

I was on 80mg of Propranalol for migraines for just over 2 years. I, with my doctors agreement weaned myself off them as my children are at school now, so I can sleep off a headache now, whereas I couldn't before.

I now have Sumatriptan for an attack but have yet to take one as latest attacks have been in the evening, so just gone to bed.

I went from having 3-6 migraines a fortnight to having only 5 in 2 years on Propranalol. I didn't have any side effects and wouldn't hesitate to go back on them.

jjgirl Fri 21-Oct-11 13:20:45

Started propanalol a few months ago. it worked extremely well, went from constant long migraines to none.

however not pleased with the 10kg i have put on in weight, so i am slowly moving off them. it going ok so far. i think some how they have managed to break the cycle of the migraines so my brain has had time to recover (i have vestibular migraines bought on by combo of things including some brain damage).

have been off for a couple of weeks now and its going ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now