Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chiropractor vs GP - Please share your thoughts/advice

(12 Posts)
cinnamonswirls Tue 18-Oct-11 09:58:28

Who is better qualified to decide?

So I have a car accident my 2nd serious one in a year. GP1 says whiplash prescribes painkillers I get progressively worse after a few days and get sciatica osteopath relieves it then I get much much worse and can barely move and I see a chiropractor

The chiropractor examines me really thoroughly talks to me and tests reflexes strength movement etc and says I might have problems with "bulging discs" one from this year's accident and one from the last and a fair bit of long term damage

I see GP2 explain I've seen a chiropractor but I'd like a second opinion he tells me I've just got a bit of nerve compression and gives me more painkillers and says he doesn't need to examine me (I burst into tears and he says there is no use talking to me I say but I've been misdiagnosed before when GP refused to examine me and I don't want it to happen again as I ended up having very painful surgery when I did have what I thought I had)

I find it hard to sit stand walk drive lie move and constantly need to shift position my bones crack all the time and I have constant pins and needles my legs are so weak (and I'm a keen cyclist and swimmer) I just don't know if I am being pathetic as my doctor says or I'm actually being quite brave for the damage that has been done as the chiropractor says

Problem is the insurance and my work will go on the GPs say so - can anybody share their experiences with me so I can feel a bit less like I'm on my own [floods of tears]

PorkChopSter Tue 18-Oct-11 10:00:10

Has the GP examined you?

cinnamonswirls Tue 18-Oct-11 10:12:34

This one said he didn't need to

The first GP looked at my back and did say I obviously had whiplash

But whiplash gets better and I'm getting worse

catonlap Tue 18-Oct-11 11:00:15

A physiotherapist would be a good next step. you could discuss with GP about a referral or you can see one private.

How long have your problems been going on for?

wicketkeeper Wed 19-Oct-11 19:37:14

If the chiropractor thinks he can fix things, what have you got to lose?

Whiplash does get better, but can take a good couple of years. For me, it was Pilates that helped the most - you really have to just keep trying until you find what works for you, and a chiropractor is a good place to start.

NatashaBee Wed 19-Oct-11 19:48:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bamboobutton Wed 19-Oct-11 19:57:15

i can also swear to a chiropractor.

gp sent me for xrays, said nothing was wrong and sent me home, still in pain.

chiropractor weaved his chiropractery magic and made me feel a million times better.

agedknees Wed 19-Oct-11 20:03:27

Ask to have a MRI scan which would show up any prolapsed discs. Locum GP said my back pain (which came on suddenly, very severe) was because I was so overweight - BMI of 26 so although I am overweight, I am not ten ton tessie.

Eventually got al MRI scan (which I had to push and push for) and hey ho, 3 slipped discs, one pressing on a nerve. Had physio, and touch wood, much better now.

breatheslowly Wed 19-Oct-11 20:05:44

I would go for a physio or osteopath. Both have done great things for me.

toolly Wed 19-Oct-11 21:00:41

I hurt my back six weeks after DS1 was born. I had the six week check at the GPs. Basically fobbed off and told to take paracetomol. The next day I could hardly move, crying in pain everytime I had to lift him which you can imagine at six weeks old is a lot. I was at my wits end until I remembered seeing a chiropractic clinic nearby. I phoned and begged to be seen as soon as possible. I arrived at the clinic hunched almost double and pushing a pram and still crying with pain. When I left 45 minutes later I was walking upright. The pain had stopped and I could lift my son with ease. Was a miracle!
Do you have health insurance? Because I didn't and I found it quite expensive though I would recommend in a heartbeat. I hope you feel better soon.

jjgirl Fri 21-Oct-11 13:25:14

where are you in the country? i can recomend you someone in herts who is excellent.

hiddenhome Fri 21-Oct-11 14:24:46

I think you should push for a referral to the hospital tbh.

GPs get their qualifications out of christmas crackers these days hmm They're all useless as far as I'm concerned and you need to assert yourself in order to get anything done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now