Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why won't GP admit my mum to hospital?

(59 Posts)
DukesOfTripHazard Mon 17-Oct-11 16:45:08

She is vomitting green bile today and has eaten/drunk very little for days and felt nauseous for weeks. She has a churning stomach that is very tender and painful and she's extremely weak and shaky with chattering teeth even though she doesn't feel cold. She's 81.

Last Thursday when she slightly less unwell than this, but was feeling desperate, we took her to A&E where they did various tests, which came back normal but because of 'slow movement of stomach gases' seen on an xray, they kept her in overnight. They discharged her the next day with a letter for her GP to request a colonoscopy.

Since then she has deteriated to the point where she can't keep food down and (please re-read first sentence at this point - Mobius loop of old age, perhaps!).

My sister called the GP out today and said she and mum were at end of their tethers and whatever is wrong with mum's stomach needed to be looked into with her as an in patient as she is getting very weak. GP was eventually persuaded hmm and told my sister to collect a letter from the surgery this afternoon. BUT GP has just called to say he won't admit her, but will come round tonight at 8 with an anti nausea injection and discuss things then.

We feel that he is not doing enough. Any medics have an opinion on this?

MadameCastafiore Mon 17-Oct-11 16:46:18

Take her straight to A&E.

nickelbabe Mon 17-Oct-11 16:47:05

take her back to A&E then.

It has got worse over the last few days.

DukesOfTripHazard Mon 17-Oct-11 17:26:33

I think we have to wait for the GP visit but that is certainly an option afterwards.

I hate how it feels like we are fighting him for what we think is right.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 17-Oct-11 18:04:36

Sounds like gallstones to me. (Your description almost exactly describes my symptoms.) Ask them to do an ultrasound to check for gallstones and blood test to check her liver function. Please take her straight to A & E. My GP told me it was all in the mind and told me to take paracetamol (which are useless for gallbladder pain). I couldn't keep anything down at all, and was vomiting bile. I went to A & E, was correctly diagnosed within half an hour of arriving, admitted, stabilised and operated on. Gallstones can be very dangerous - I think if one splits the bile duct.

DukesOfTripHazard Mon 17-Oct-11 18:10:48

Thank you Mrs S smile That sounds awful. I will be gallstone aware and grill GP accordingly. However, she did have blood test when she was in A&E last week.

titan Mon 17-Oct-11 18:15:24

It could be bowel obstruction. Sounds like she has deteriorated. Definitely go to A and E.

bigTillyMint Mon 17-Oct-11 18:36:39

Is the GP usually this obstructive? I would definitely take her to A&E. If you decide to wait for the GP to come first, then be prepared for a fight! You need to find out what he thinks it is and why does he think she does not need to be admitted. Obviously blush

dikkertjedap Mon 17-Oct-11 18:45:57

Go to A&E, don't wait for GP. There is clearly something really wrong, she is very elderly, don't take the risk. GP might just lure you in a false sense of security, really this should be sorted out and the sooner the better.

Miggsie Mon 17-Oct-11 18:50:11

This really does sound like gall stones, my dad had all this too...particularly the tender stomach (and constipated). It turned out his entire gall bladder was hard as a rock, they operated and took out a single huge stone which is now exhibited at the university hospital!

bluegnueboo Mon 17-Oct-11 18:57:44

What does your mum want to do? Does she want to go to hospital. If so I'd take her straight away and now worry about the g.p.

Blackduck Mon 17-Oct-11 18:57:53

Agree with others a&e don't wait for dr. She is too ill by the sounds of it to take any chances waiting any longer.

Avantia Mon 17-Oct-11 18:59:17

Bloody hell ! Sod the GP - get down to A & E now !

Might be something might be nothing but your Mum's age will not help matters.

Hope all is ok .

whomovedmychocolate Mon 17-Oct-11 19:01:29

Octogenarians don't take much to tip them over the age in terms of fever. You must take her to hospital. I would not be waiting for a GP if she's that ill.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 17-Oct-11 19:02:18

Sorry that didn't sound very clear - chattering teeth can be a sign that she's going into shock. That's very dangerous at her age. Get her to A&E.

wonkylegs Mon 17-Oct-11 19:03:01

Just asked DH (hospital doc but not in geriatrics/general medicine) he said that dependent on how long she's been unable to keep food down (if it's not very long give anti-sickness a chance to work) but based on age and previous hospital admission, if she is very weak and has had no food for a couple of days take her take her in to A&E if your GP insists after a repeated request to admit her(or if he takes too long to come out and see her)
Personally (& non medically) I'd go with your gut feeling, you know her and how she's been compared to normal try to look at it rationally and calmly and then go with your gut!
Hope she's better soon

Miggsie Mon 17-Oct-11 19:03:44

yes, sorry should have said my dad had the chattering teeth as well and we got an ambulance, they were fab, wrapped him up and whisked him away. The paramedics were excellent.

Northernlurker Mon 17-Oct-11 19:04:57

It isn't actually the GP who admits her - he/she will contact the hospital and request a bed. I suspect that the GP has rung to arrange the admission and the on call doctors or bed managers (depending on the local procedure) have declined to accept her. So either he hasn't made the case properly or they haven't listened or they are heaving at the seams and trying not to take in patients who don't need to be there or a bit of all of the above. You've done the right thing by going this route but if you feel your mum is getting worse then take her to A&E. Ironically this will just make the hospitals admission problems worse as they struggle to clear A&E but that's just tough for tem quite frankly. Your bottom line is she can't keep food/drink down and at her age she's going to really run in to trouble if this continues.

TheFeministsZombieBride Mon 17-Oct-11 19:07:58

I think you need to her to A&E NOW!!! Sorry for the caps and I don't want to scare you but her symptoms sound EXACTLY like my nan's in the days before she died. Her GP was bloody useless (much like your mum's) and refused to admit her to hospital. It was left to late and she died a 4 days after the symptoms started, she was 79. sad

PacificDogwood Mon 17-Oct-11 19:09:57

I am going to go slightly against the grain and suggest you wait for the GP. And yes, what is your mums preference? If she is mentally fit, she may not want to go to A and E.
IME A and E is not a good place to go with an unwell person who needs a specialist opinion. Far better to be referred in by her GP to the appropriate speciality.
If she has already had tests done is there the possibility that her dr or even she herself know more than you??

Sorry, I have no idea obviously, but feel communication has not been the most wonderful. Find out what her dr is thinking and tell him what your fears or worries are.

Good luck! I hope your mother feels better v soon.

TheFeministsZombieBride Mon 17-Oct-11 19:11:35

Meant to add, I really hope she gets seen too and feels better soon.

HeadsRollingInTheAisles Mon 17-Oct-11 19:11:56

Perhaps bowel obstruction, but either way she needs to be seen quickly. Hope she is better soon sad

TheRealMBJ Mon 17-Oct-11 19:18:08

I'm with NorthernLurker.

Pannalash Mon 17-Oct-11 20:02:12

If you're not happy with the advice your GP is giving you - do whatever you feel is right, and if that means taking her to A+E then do it.
From bitter experience with my beautiful Mum age 79 the Dr's aren't always right - I had to argue for them to test her for DVT's when they were suggesting arthritis -it was multiple DVT's .

After my Mum had a short stay in hosp, our Dr's practice then ingnored the obvious symptoms that she had raging C Diff and prescribed anitbiotics for a 'chest inf' - the worst thing that you can give to a C Diff patient.

I'm not meaning to upset you, but go with your instincts.

Hope your Mum has a speedy recovery.

neverever Mon 17-Oct-11 20:06:33

Hope your mums ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now