Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cholesterol lowering foods ALMONDS

(3 Posts)
paisleyII Sun 16-Oct-11 16:45:50

does anyone know if they DEFINATELY are good for (attempting to) lower cholesterol. i keeping being told and reading that they are superb at this however i just bought some from m&s (unsalted) and the packaging says 4.4g per 100g which i thought was really high, would appreciate anyones views, thanks alot

scarevola Mon 17-Oct-11 08:35:20

There is no single dietary magic bullet for cholesterol - especially as there is no linear/predictable relationship between amount of cholesterol you eat and the amount in your blood.

The best advice is to exceed the 5-a-day guideline for fruit and veg, and to eat a good variety including nuts and seeds. So almonds would be a good step towards this.

Katisha Mon 17-Oct-11 08:40:22

Oatbran is generally regarded to be efective here. Stir a few teaspoons into a yoghurt twice a day or have porridge with extra oatmeal in. You can get it in Tesco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now