Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Croup to chesty cough - how long?

(4 Posts)
monkeytennismum Sun 16-Oct-11 09:15:16

DD2 (age 3) was diagnosed with croup a week ago. Within a couple of days the temp and barking cough had gone and been replaced by a very nasty chesty cough. Oh and by this time DD1 and DS had caught it. My question is how long should I expect this chesty cough to last? They've all been off school last week and the night-time coughing fits don't seem to be lessening.

Tbh with DD1 and DS I'm not so worried and would be content to sit it out. But DD2 has a history of poor winter health - having ended-up on antibiotics and anti-virals in the past for complications following colds/flu. I hate being one of those mums who rushes up the docs all the time so if anyone can advise on how long the chesty cough lasts I'd be really grateful smile

NameGotLostInCyberspace Sun 16-Oct-11 10:29:02

DS (11months) was diagnosed with croup on friday given steroids. (he only had bronchiolitis a month ago)!
Dr said ill for 2-5 days then cough could last up to 2 weeks. If I were you I would take DD2 back if cough hasn't got better/ gone after that time.
Strangely my DS doesn't have the usual "barking" but he does have nasty cough and his chest was raspy. He also had the indrawing under the ribs. (recess)? I was shocked when she said it was croup as thought the type of cough was the first sign.

NameGotLostInCyberspace Sun 16-Oct-11 10:30:42

hope they feel better soon smile

monkeytennismum Mon 17-Oct-11 09:49:45

Thanks for that. She had a much better night last night, so hopefully its on its way out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now