Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Having a broncoscopy on Monday, anyone had one?

(18 Posts)
LargeGlassofRed Sat 15-Oct-11 17:42:32

I have to have biopsys taken too, is it as bad as I imagine it's going to be?

grumpybat Sat 15-Oct-11 18:54:31

I don't know. But I have a kidney biopsy on Monday, so I know how nervous you are! Hand holding available for the mutual biopsy shy society......

CMOTdibbler Sat 15-Oct-11 20:00:46

Not had one personally, but been there for quite a few. The v good news is that the sedative they give you means you won't remember a thing about it all.

It doesn't seem its painful, and the worst bit is the first as the scope starts to go down, but they use lots of painkiller spray there anyway.

the biopsy is just a snip of tissue and doesn't hurt as no pain receptors in your lungs

LargeGlassofRed Sat 15-Oct-11 20:26:14

Ah good luck to for Monday Grumpy, holding hands :-)
Thats really reassuring thanks CMOT was thinking if listening to my iPod but maybe I don't need to bother then, if I'm out of it.

Had a lumber puncture last week, and that was no worse than a blood test.

magso Sun 16-Oct-11 22:17:14

I had a bronchoscopy and biopsy. Frankly I don't remember much it's as if I fell asleep and woke up sitting upright in recovery with all the noisy machines! the sedative affects your memory so you do not remember what happened only that you want to sleep!

LargeGlassofRed Mon 17-Oct-11 08:31:36

Thanks Magso, feel quite calm about it now, can I ask how long did you wait for your results?

magso Mon 17-Oct-11 10:03:54

I was an in patient at the time and the consultant had the visual report (ie what they saw/did not see) at the following morning rounds. The lab results took longer but because of a mix up with changing wards they took quite a while! so by the next day I had reassuring news!
I was on o2 (mask) when I became aware of my surroundings but I had been up until shortly before anyway so I do not know if that is routine.
Good luck!

LargeGlassofRed Mon 17-Oct-11 11:33:06

Thanks I'm inpatient too, they just said going down at 2.30.
I've been in hospital 12 days now and they're hoping to give me a definate diagnosis after these results.

magso Mon 17-Oct-11 17:46:08

Poor you 12 days is a long time. Hope it went well! difficult waiting.
As you are in hospital you will probably get some results very soon and hopefully be on suitable treatment to be allowed home.

Jessicaalbastwin Mon 17-Oct-11 22:04:26

I had a broncoscopy, but it didn't go right down my lungs, just the back of my throat ( well I think it was a broncoscopy). I wasn't sedated, but I insisted on having some kind of local anaesthetic for it, anyway the dr sprayed a tiny bit in My nostrils and of course it went at the back of my throat aswell, and all I can say was the anaesthetic was horrid. Firstly it tasted vile, and secondly I started to have this strange feeling in my nose like I couldn't breath, then My throat started to tighten and I felt like I couldn't breath, it was such a horrrible experienec, I wish I had just had it without the anaesthetic. On a positive note, I didn't feel the camera go in.

LargeGlassofRed Tue 18-Oct-11 06:31:15

Christ it was horrible! I was sedated but still wide awake throughout, I was coping quite well after the awful numbing spray, then the plastic tube in my mouth kept making me gag, and threw up bile which was horrid.
They look biopsys brushes and a wash? Then an xray.
Started feeling unwell about 5 then had the shivers and chest pain, by 7.30 in a right state my legs felt like they were in ice and could get warm, they checked my temp and it was 39.9 so started on iv fluids and antibiotics. Feel brighter thus morning but still got a temp :-(

magso Tue 18-Oct-11 08:41:23

(hugs)
How are you doing now red? i am sorry you had such an awful time!
I'm afraid I had some problems too ( lung haemorrage, chest pain very low O2, cardiac problems) but I also had a long stay in hospital rather ill beforehand as you have. I think it is usual to do brushings and the wash out. it all gives information. Did you have the xray to check for an air leak and is that Ok? Hope your temp is normalising. My body did the opposite - went very low!
I hope you get some information soon and most of all start to feel better. (hug)

LargeGlassofRed Tue 18-Oct-11 09:02:17

Thanks Magso, xray straight after was ok, having another this morning, temp ok now but blood pressure very low. Waiting for ward round should know more then.
They put me on ECG machine last night but think that was ok.

maybeyoushoulddrive Tue 18-Oct-11 09:49:40

Hi just seen this. My mum had two bronchoscopies last month. I think they might have changed the sedative mix as she was fully conscious throughout both and remembered everything sad She also ended up with a chest infection after - think that's common.

Hope you begin to feel better soon and get some answers.

magso Tue 18-Oct-11 14:51:22

Hope you are feeling better Red, and the second Xray is OK.

LargeGlassofRed Tue 18-Oct-11 16:51:19

Hi Maybe, your poor mum
Having 2! Hope she's on the mend soon.
Thanks Magso, they decided not to do another chest xray as i've had 3 already this week. They have but me on high dose iv antibiotics so treatment the same with or without xray.
No news on any results yet and stuck in hospital for now.

madhairday Tue 18-Oct-11 16:55:49

Hope you feel better soon LGOR. I'm not keen on bronchoscopes (have to have them every couple of years or so), with just the local they can hurt, they seem to affect people differently, I maintain I have a narrow throat/airway so it hurts more!!

Hope the IVs kick in and you feel better soon smile

LargeGlassofRed Tue 18-Oct-11 17:13:54

Thanks mad, think I have narrow airways too :-) really hope I don't have to have another.
Don't know how you put up with regular ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now