Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Need info on alcohol abuse effects in women

(7 Posts)
EEEEKinthebeeswax Sat 15-Oct-11 17:08:07

A close relative (female 34) is an alcoholic. She has visually deteriorated recently and is in and out of detox. She looks like a frail old lady.
Please, if anyone can tell me anything they have encountered heavy alcohol abuse and its effects, especially in women. I am worried for her. She has been like this for 10 years and has 3 beautiful DDs. What is happening to her?
Thanks in advance.

kblu Sat 15-Oct-11 17:09:26

Well my dad died from alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver two years ago so I know loads, ask away...

gigglepin Sat 15-Oct-11 17:15:09

One of my lovely friends died in January of alcohol abuse.
I miss her terribly.
4 years she was a full blown alcoholic, thats all. 2 children, lovely husband.

In and out of rehab & hosiptal. She didnt even look like my friend when i saw her literally a couple of weeks before she died.
It was sudden, but we all knew it would come.

Sorry you are going theough this with your family memebr, sincere sympathies. Its difficult to witness.

EEEEKinthebeeswax Sat 15-Oct-11 17:30:19

kblu does it affect them mentally, the abuse? What the hell are her insides going to be like? She drinks lots of cheap wine. Surely continually putting your body through detox is a strain physically.
She was such a stunning girl, well dressed and well spoken.
She is a shell of her former self. I am so sorry about your dad, you must have been devastated.
giggle So sorry about your friend. I am expecting a phone call saying she has died, like you described.
It is like I am watching her commit slow suicide.

EEEEKinthebeeswax Sat 15-Oct-11 17:31:39

Her children are devastated, they are living with her parents. The eldest understands what is going on, its torture for her.

kblu Sat 15-Oct-11 17:35:54

I can only tell you really about the health side because my dad wasn't the stereotypical alcoholic, he held down a good job, he was clean and tidy, I never ever saw him drunk. He was a binge drinker over thirty years which led to cirrhosis. By the time he was diagnosed it was too late really. If she's been an alcoholic for ten years, she will no doubt have liver damage. Liver damage can lead to all kinds of problems. My dad had all kinds of problems towards the end.
They need to help themselves, all you can do is support them and try not to judge.

EEEEKinthebeeswax Sat 15-Oct-11 17:52:00

kblu I know they need to help themselves. She has good intentions, then the call of the wild grows too strong. I dont judge her, she is ill, in my eyes.
She is in a private rehab retreat now, but I fear when she comes home, the cycle will start all over again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now