Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know why this is happening? (Mirena coil and periods)

(16 Posts)
whyme2 Fri 14-Oct-11 18:32:24

Just worrying myself a little and wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

Three years ago I had a mirena coil inserted for contraception (after dc4). For most of this time I have had very short and light periods hurray but the last two months my periods have come back heavy with clots and this current one is on it's sixth day and showing no sign of abating.

The reason I am worried is because my periods have changed does this mean that I am more likely to become pregnant? Is it a sign the coil is not doing it's job properly or am I over thinking things?

Any advice/reassurance would be really appreciated. Thanks.

whyme2 Fri 14-Oct-11 19:03:34

Anyone?

whyme2 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:03:23

bump <shameless>

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Fri 14-Oct-11 20:13:08

have you checked the threads to make sure it's still in place?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 14-Oct-11 20:18:26

Definitely get it checked, that's not usual ime.

whyme2 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:28:52

tbh I have never been able to feel the threads anyway.

I will make an appt with the gp on monday I think. Come to think of it I have also had some tummy ache this week which is also unusual. Oh why is my life so complicated?

RandomMess Fri 14-Oct-11 20:29:38

Could it be a miscarriage???

whyme2 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:32:54

I don't think it would be a miscarriage, the clots are small and I have not 'felt' pregnant.
Although I have not knowingly miscarried so not sure what I should be looking for there.

thanks for all your replies.

lazymumofteenagesons Fri 14-Oct-11 20:41:40

If this was what your periods were like before the coil, then it sounds like it's not working. If it has moved it does not necessarily mean it's not working. Mine has turned upside down but is still working. I saw it on a scan and it had completely turned around. The only problem is when it needs to be removed the thread has gone up!

whyme2 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:53:49

Before I had this coil in my periods were verging on heavy but not for this long. I am seriously worried about getting pregnant again though. That would not be a good move for us now.

twankie Fri 14-Oct-11 22:37:40

my threads have gone up..have had a scan..coil inplace..drs not worried especillay tho no periods

stump Sat 15-Oct-11 09:45:32

I don't know the answer to this but I have had similar.
I had my coil fitted just over two years ago and the first 6 months I bled pretty much none stop....then it settled down a bit but then I had two awful periods in sucession with huge clots, flooding etc went to the dr who checked my thyroid which was fine, did a pregnancy test (-ve) and then refered me for a scan which showed the coil was fine and no sign of any fibroids, cysts or anything that shouldn't be there. Then it settled down again....with a light period with occasional spotting. But last saturday I started bleeding heavily again - with clots it stops and starts and is still going on 7 days later. I have no explanation for it.....except my new theory is that because the coil is stopping the periods from being normal every now and again the blood pools and has to come out and this is what is happening now. May also be coincidence but everytime I get one of these really heavy periods I feel really unwell - full of cold, fluey and achy.
I'm not sure what the answer is but I think I am going to keep a diary and in 6 months or so will go back with it and see what the dr says. My dr seems to think it isn't related to the coil which is doing its job and is in the right place.
I have always been able to feel my strings!

whyme2 Sun 16-Oct-11 08:25:39

thanks for posting stump at least I know I am not on my own. I am definitely making an appointment with my GP tomorrow as I am still bleeding and it is getting heavier.

stump Sun 16-Oct-11 10:21:16

am still bleeding too - am on day 9 now. Let me know what your GP says. Am starting my diary! Good luck!

whyme2 Tue 18-Oct-11 10:20:55

Quick update - I spoke to my GP on the phone and she has prescribed something beginning with T to reduce blood loss and also asked to make an appt with the nurse to have my strings checked when I had stopped bleeding.
She couldn't really give my any explanation as to why it was happening or whether I am still protected from pregnancy.
Blood loss seems to be letting up today so I am going to try and make an appt for the end of this week.

stump Wed 19-Oct-11 10:11:33

Glad you got something whyme2. I am still bleeding - it eased off yesterday but this morning big clots and flooding again. been going on for nearly 2 weeks now :-( Going away at the weekend but if it doesn't settle down will have to go and see the GP when I get back. Hope the tablets help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now