Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swollen painful knees causing painall over lower half of body - anyone?

(4 Posts)
roundabout1 Fri 14-Oct-11 13:22:57

I have had problems with my knees since I was a teenager, often swollen & painful however ocassionally they get very bad & it coincides with pelvic pain & painful hips/back/feet & legs all over. It used to happen more regularly before my first daughter was born 6 yrs ago since then only sporadically. I went back to the gps today as was feeling so rotten with it, just uncomfortable, sick & just so painful. She said it was referred/transferred pain form my knees going up & down my legs & so just to take ibuprofen. While I believe that she's right as my knees do seem to be the source & are hugley swollen & creaky I just find it a bit hard to believe that the pelvic & back pain could be from it as it just feels different. Does anyone else have anything similar?

greensmurf Sat 15-Oct-11 10:45:47

Is the pelvic and back pain more of an ache? Just because they are two different types of pain doesn't mean they arn't connected (apparently). I would ask for tests to be done with your GP. It needs to be investigated further by the sounds of it as you say your knees are swollen too.

Good luck.

roundabout1 Sat 15-Oct-11 13:19:57

The knee pain is a throbbing pain & they do get hot & feel squeaky/creaky to touch. The pelvic pain & back ache is an ache but is in particular spots it's worse, also on the arch of my feet is very painful. She did say as the pain is worse at certain particular places it does sound more like referred pain.

idotry Wed 19-Oct-11 21:47:07

I have the same symptoms but with fatigue added to the equation. I was eventually diagnosed as having ankylosing spondylitis which is an auto immune form of arthritis. Demamd a blood test. The blood test for me showed up the hla b27 gene which prompted a referral to a rheumatologist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now