Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

how much gluten should i flood my body with before celiac blood test?

(6 Posts)
eragon Thu 13-Oct-11 22:45:56

I have IBS, so went on a elimination diet, and have dicovered that gluten, and possibly milk, even lactose free may are the most likely causes, which i expected (although gluten reaction was pretty quick and dramatic!) and possible problem with beans...

anyway am going to have a blood test for celiac, and other stuff, but need to have gluten in my body before test. should I flood my system with it before I go ? how do I know I have eaten enought to show it in my bloodstream?

ZombiesAteYourCervix Thu 13-Oct-11 22:47:38

i think you have to aet normally for 6 weeks before. gorging on bread just before won't show a true reaction.

eragon Thu 13-Oct-11 22:55:25

oh, have just stopped eating the stuff for 5 weeks!

just having a small amount, accidently, gave me a dramatic reaction , so the idea of having to eat it regularly for another 6 weeks isnt good news.

CMOTdibbler Fri 14-Oct-11 10:04:18

For an accurate test you need to be eating gluten at the rate of at least 2 slices of bread a day for 6 weeks.

What are you hoping for with the coeliac test ? To me its the symptoms and response that matter, not the diagnosis - I'm coeliac but know 4 others in rl who stay gf without a diagnosis

eragon Fri 14-Oct-11 13:38:28

I do match the symptoms , the blood test is for other things as well as coeliac, and i will be reffered back to a consultant after this blood test, at least, i will be pushing for it.

I do need some support with this, after the elimination diet, and the painful symptoms have eased, plus less mad dashing to smallest room, i suddenly realised how much pain i have been in every day , but just thought i had to put up with it.

nightcat Fri 14-Oct-11 20:56:05

Gluten causes a lot of problems other than coealiac and some quite severe too, so bound to be linked. Just check the Gluten File

We are also gf w/o dx, wouldn't go back on gluten as I value my health more that dx. Just b/c you can get substitute carbs on prescription will not make you better, as the point of diet is eating varied quality foods and not switching from wheat overload to soya/rice etc overload.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: