Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nervous diarrhoea?

(6 Posts)
PinkEmily Wed 12-Oct-11 21:28:09

Hi,

My stomach has always had a tendency to be unsettled when I'm nervous but just lately it's getting out of hand. I'm recently back at work after maternity leave and for the last 5 weeks or so I've had diarrhoea on every day that I've had to work. I'm not nervous at all about work, but I get worked up about getting 3 children up, dressed, school and to the childminder (for youngest) in time.

I can't keep on taking diarrhoea capsules, they can't be doing much good - and it's definitely not a bug because I'm fine on the days inbetween.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Gigondas Wed 12-Oct-11 21:30:04

Are you lactose intolerant? I say this as also prone to upset tummy but got s lot worse post birth of dd. I think it was the huge heavy doses of anti biotics I had at birth for infection that unbalanced me but even smallish amounts of milk(eg in coffee) set it off.

GhoulishGlendaFestersAgain Wed 12-Oct-11 21:33:09

IBS can give you these symptoms, may be worth a chat with your GP to look at getting it checked, some medication may help. Imodium type stuff eg loperamide is ok to take long term but you need to make sure that there is no underlying problems first.

MegGriffin Wed 12-Oct-11 21:34:11

I get this when i'm nervous eg before the dentist. Its really frustrating so you have my sympathy.

PinkEmily Wed 12-Oct-11 21:42:54

MegGriffin, yes that's when I get it too, and Doctors, flying, meetings - anything really. It's like that 'fight or flight' response. When the tension is over I can feel my stomach physically release, and I'm fine for the rest of the day.
I'm sure it's not IBS or an intolerance, I only work 3 days a week and I'm absolutely fine on the days inbetween.
I try to have my mornings organised so I don't get in a flap, and logically have absolutely nothing to get worked up over.
It's such a pain, not to mention a time consuming inconvenience!

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 12-Oct-11 22:04:23

Do you eat or drink whilst rushing round to get ready? Sometimes coffee/hot drinks can make things worse. Possibly avoid eating (unless a very small amount) until the stressful bit is over?

Also look at strategies to minimise the rush/stress of getting them all ready. Stuff like getting all outfits/bags ready the night before. Setting alarm 15 minutes earlier etc. Allowing time for things to go wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now