Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I would know if i'd broken my foot, wouldn't i ?

(10 Posts)
TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 12-Oct-11 17:19:58

I had a vague feeling of pain when walking over the last couple of days, but couldn't really remember doing anything to it.

Yesterday it started to hurt alot more and I hobbled around the shops for an hour or so and limped around for the rest of the day. When i went to bed i noticed that the top of my foot is swollen. The bit that hurts is on the top of my foot just under the toe next to my little one. If i touch it it hurts alot.

The only thing i can remember doing is tripping over the vacuum pipe and i can't even remember exactly when i did it. Might have been the weekend.

Wouldn't it hurt alot more if broken though ???

whomovedmychocolate Wed 12-Oct-11 17:22:33

Nah you might have broken the toe though, but there is bugger all you can do about it.

TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 12-Oct-11 17:24:29

Ahh and do they just leave it then ?

littleomar Wed 12-Oct-11 17:24:45

Having broken a number of toes myself, I think if you'd broken something it would be bruised (black and blue!) as well as painful.

TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 12-Oct-11 17:26:51

My toe doesn't actually hurt though, it's further down.

orangeflutie Wed 12-Oct-11 18:27:30

I would do the usual things rest, ice, and elevate and take anti-inflammatory painkillers but do see someone if it persists longer than a week.

I've just been diagnosed with something called 'Mortons Neuroma' which is a benign tumour of the nerve between the toes on my left foot. I have had foot pain on and off since May and thought it would sort itself out. I'm really wishing I'd sought advice sooner now as I will need to have an operation to sort it out.

Sorry if I've hijacked a bit, hope your foot gets better soon.

kunahero Wed 12-Oct-11 20:34:32

Hi,

It could be a number of things including a fracture of the 4th/5th metarsals which is quite common and as they are a very thin bone its easy to break, footballers do it all the time (beckhams done it) Mortons neuroma is possible but quite rare.

How old are you?
Could it be arthritis or gout. do you have any history of this?

Is ther any bruising around the area?

Sorry to ask so many questions but the more info I have the more I can help.
BTW I run my own foot health clinic so I do have a bit of knowledge in this area.

TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 12-Oct-11 21:29:06

Oh never heard of that orange, hope you can get it sorted soon smile

Kunahero - I am 33, never had gout of arthritis that I know of, although I do ocasionally have trouble with my knees.
The swelling is under my 4th and 5th metarsals and the swelling is there and up along the side of my foot.

I rested it for a bit and the swelling and pain improved a little. Just had a bath and when I got out the pain was quite bad again. I'm a bit flumoxed tbh.

Oh no bruising anywhere either.

kunahero Wed 12-Oct-11 21:41:51

could you have a foreign body in your foot? Is it hot to the touch? Do you go bare foot?.

IMO I would seriously consider going to A&E for an xray. If its causing you pain and distress then its worth having it properly checked out. Better to feel a bit foolish for nothing than to leave it and need surgery in the future for something serious such as a displaced/unhealed fracture.

off to the land of nod, just done a 6 mile run so knackered but will be back at 6am to answer any more questions if you have them. Feel free to pm me.

Rest, compression and elevation in the mean time and try ibuprofen gel rubbed liberally into the affected area. Ice is not a good idea as contrary to popular belief this does not always help.

TheOriginalNutcracker Fri 14-Oct-11 16:59:37

Well yesterday my foot was alot better, still a bit painful, but not swollen or anything. However I was of it most of the day so that might be why.

Today I have been out and about as normal and the foot is swollen and hurts again when I walk and to touch.

I think I am going to see how it behaves over the weekend and then if it's not better I will have to go for an x-ray I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now