Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else had gastroenteritis for AGES... ok, I am on day 8 and fed up

(6 Posts)
GingerbreadLatte Wed 12-Oct-11 09:57:37

Started last tuesday with really bad cramping in stomach and usual d&V.
Cramping hasnt let up and I've been taking antispasmodics which helped a bit.

Thought I was better last night, but woke again with cramps at 3. Feel dreadful today.

Anyone else had this for so long? what was cause?

lostmymind Wed 12-Oct-11 10:44:57

Anyone else in the household have the same thing? I ask as you may be re-infecting each other. Otherwise go see your GP, chances are they'll want a stool specimen just to clear you of any bacterial infection.
Keep up fluids, eat a bland diet as your gut is most likely irritable in that it wont tolerate spicy/fatty foods etc.

FWIW I had some horrific gastro bug two years back, whilst the V part stopped after 48 hours or so the intermittent D carried on for nigh on 3 weeks. Great as I dropped a stone in weight grin, awful as I felt utterly vile for that entire time.

Seriously though, as it's been over a week get checked by your GP.
Hope you feel better soon.

FreakoidOrganisoid Wed 12-Oct-11 10:49:51

I have had it really badly a couple of times. Both times had antibiotics and was put on a drip and felt much better within 48 hours

GingerbreadLatte Wed 12-Oct-11 10:59:41

thanks lost and freakoid.

I've been only one in house with it. I've been cleaning carefully to try and avoid contamination.

Have been to docs. They just said, "oh should pass soon" suggested different anti spasmodics hmm

Freakoid- When you needed antibioitics- did you have a fever? I did have a temp when I was first ill but thats gone now.

I can live with the symptoms except the cramping in the night as its soo painful and natuarlly seems so much worse at night.

ameliagrey Wed 12-Oct-11 17:11:08

antibiotics are rarely given unless you have been abroad and have a really nasty one, or you have an identifiable bacterium.

I havehad 2 horrible episodes over the past 2 years. I think both were bus/food poisoning picked up in London.

If you are still having D/V stop eating- just drink- or eat very bland and non fatty foods- dairy can make it worse.

Old wives cure- which worked for me- grated apple. grate and leave until the juices run then eat all- works!

FreakoidOrganisoid Wed 12-Oct-11 17:37:15

Sorry I should have said that I was living abroad both times I had the antibiotics so don't know if it is common practise here. Had a fever the second time but not the first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now