Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help! Varicose veins on vulva

(9 Posts)
GroovyRach Tue 11-Oct-11 22:52:56

In need of advice/support/suggestions please!!

I gave birth 12 days ago, was a tough time. Ended in forceps and so cut/stitches. I was feeling well within a few days and so maybe done more than I should in regards to walking, being mobile etc. The past few days, I had been aware of an 'ache/itch' down below on my right side. Thought it was to do with stitches so asked my mw to have a look. She said all healing fine. So today I plucked up courage to have a look myself. Totally shocked to see my right 'lip' is twice the size it should be! I'm guessing a varicose vein due to it's appearance. Now I'm wondering how I can get some relief from it as it's very painful. Due to see mw again tomorrow so will ask her, but last night I had a terrible sleep due to this and i know tonight will be the same. Anyone have experience of this?! Will it go away eventually? It's just so sore and very itchy!!

wompoopigeon Tue 11-Oct-11 23:04:17

Congratulations on your new baby!
I think it's difficult to advise as your MW prob needs to have another look and check it really is normal and not infection. If you're not happy with her response, your GP can give a second opinion. My personal experience was that it did look like a car crash for some weeks, and I was sitting down very gingerly!! Once infection etc are ruled out, my experience was just a) time and b) very gentle exercises to help get blood flowing round the general area. Maybe also a nice bath? Am
sure someone will come along who knows more about these things and recommends maybe teatree oil or summat.

kevlarbrassiere Tue 11-Oct-11 23:05:12

Brings back many memories!

Congratulations on having a baby, hope you are enjoying him/her!

What worked for me was keeping off my feet as much as possible (I found that I could just about make a cup of tea, before the the ache would start).
It won't last forever, but it isn't such a hardship, if you can manage it, to stay put with your beautiful babe, a book, dvds, flask of tea, phone and laptop!

I got some really thick sanitary towels, and put them in the fridge, then wore two at a time, with tight, two sizes too small knickers to hold them snug against the offending vulval attrocities.

Some friends had used frozen peas, cold packs, etc., but I just couldn't bear the cold sensation. Hope that helps.

wompoopigeon Tue 11-Oct-11 23:06:26

Also, if it's very painful, have you tried a painkiller for tonight? You need your sleep! smile

GroovyRach Tue 11-Oct-11 23:11:18

Thank you for your replies smile

Yeah the mw did say on the first visit that it looked like a car crash so best avoided! As I say, I was feeling great so up and about prob a lot more than I should have been and so suffering for it now. I had thought maybe infection but when she looked yesterday and said all looked fine, I just thought 'oh well'. Only today after I looked myself, I got a fright at what I saw!

So it's rest and something cold held against the area. Will try that now, dreading the thought of trying to sleep cos I just want to claw myself blush

GroovyRach Tue 11-Oct-11 23:11:57

I wondered if a pain killer might help. Worth a go I guess!

FlossingMyCat Tue 11-Oct-11 23:15:10

Congrats on your baba. Lots of painkillers I'm afraid for your poor mutilated vulva! I was prescribed painkillers that were breastfeeding-friendly, not sure what they were. I also had varicose veins 'down there' throughout pregnancy and for a month or so afterwards. They did clear up later.

GroovyRach Tue 11-Oct-11 23:34:28

Thank you, glad to head yours did clear up!

I'm currently laying in bed with frozen sweetcorn between my legs blush. Funny how no one mentions these things. Pregnancy/childbirth is just so glamorous!! grin

SparkleRainbow Wed 12-Oct-11 10:57:47

I am sorry you have this, I developed it after dd2 as well. I can completely empathise with the achy pain, almost as soon as you stand. All I can suggest is what has already been mentioned...put your feet up as much as possible, have some nice soothing baths, with teatree oil and lavender drops, but not too hot or else it will make it worse, and keep pressure up against the area, s towels changed regularly... I still suffer with mine but only during my period, so now I have a coil, no periods, and no pain at all, it will not last for ever, but if you are left with it in the end there are options, so don't despair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now