Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When to worry about diarrohea in an otherwise well 10 month old?

(4 Posts)
notso Tue 11-Oct-11 13:53:20

DS has had diarrohea(SP) since Thursday night.
Firstly I though it was due to teething but it seems to have got worse, the past two days it has been after every meal and all his milk feeds.
He is happy and active, but he is starting to look pale and is sleeping more during the day.
I have been offering him more water which he is taking.
I don't really know what else to do? Any advice gladly received.

wannabestressfree Tue 11-Oct-11 14:00:56

I would probably seek doctors advice as its been for a few days and you have given a tummy bug long enough to pass. Children can dehydrate very quickly. Good luck, its always worrying when they are poorly

SomethingSuitablyWitty Tue 11-Oct-11 14:06:59

I have a DD who is 11mo and who has been having a bit of an extended bout of loose stools/diarrhea for about 2 weeks. It would be fairly OK some days and then bad again. It is worrying, but seems to be slowly clearing up. I took her to the paed last Friday and she emphasised the importance of fluids. The only way to actually diagnose a cause (especially in the absence of any other symptoms such as vomiting) is a stool sample and lab test. We might do that if it isn't gone by the end of the week. We did do it once before a few months back after a terrible week-long bout (about 10 nappies a day!) but it actually revealed nothing - so you won't always track down the cause.

It's a good idea to give a probiotic (you can buy capsules in the chemist and put one in the bottle - Enterol and Probiotica are the two I know. they are over the counter). These help to restore the gut flora and can definitely do no harm and may help. Someone also suggested to me a bit of baby rice in the bottle. The paed also suggested using a special formula for a while - DD still has 3 bottles a day. The formula is lactose-free or something. Anyway, it seems to be helping. If your DS is really not keeping fluids in, you might want to consider offering a drink of rehydration salts after every bad nappy.

Good luck! I know it can be dispiriting and there is something terribly relentless about those vile nappies smile Hope DS feels better soon.

notso Tue 11-Oct-11 14:25:24

Thank for the replies.
I am finding it hard to tell how much fluid he is keeping in, can't tell by nappy wetness as he is going through them so quickly.
I had a look on NHS direct and they suggested that although anything up to two weeks is ok, if it is mucusy (bleurgh) which DS's is then see the doctor sooner as it maybe bacterial.
I know this sounds really lazy but the Doctors is a bus/taxi ride away and I am loathe to make the effort just to be told "it's viral, nothing I can do". However on the other hand I am starting to feel a bit concerned as he is starting to look pale and unwell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now