Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hayfever or virus?

(5 Posts)
tink123 Tue 11-Oct-11 13:08:23

I normally only get hayfever June and July, but suddenly this week I have come down with an itchy nose, fullness in ears, sneezing loads and a headache all over. Feel like I do when I have heyfever.

Is anyone else suffering? It could just be a virus

Jojo0070 Tue 11-Oct-11 14:55:51

I get those symptoms. I've had them for the past 20 yrs - went to the doctors who told me I had an allergic reaction to something, and assured me I would find out what it was by process of elimination.
Thought it must be something I could smell, so I did the process of elimination thing with things like perfume etc, but was baffled.
A couple of years ago, after being sick to death of having flu like symptoms every other month, somebody recommended an 'Allergy Testing Service'.

The test included allergy testing, food intolerance, a vitamin analysis and mineral testing. Oh my god! It was the best thing I had ever done - so disappointed my doctor didn't recommend this testing after visiting him for the umpteenth time - but he said he wouldn't recommend as the testing I had was classed as alternative medicine.

The test was non-invasive whereby a metal rod was rubbed against the finger. The rod was attached to a machine that was fitted with over 100 food and chemical products. You're tested for sensitivity to items such as grass, dust mites, all milk proteins, eggs, fish, fruits, dairy etc. Your tested also for vitamin deficiencies.

I know I suffer with low iron, so when the test showed this I wasn't surprised.
However I was surprised to learn that I was highly sensitive to Cow's milk and Monosodium Glutamate (E621).
As soon as I cut these things out of my diet - what a difference.
I still get caught out - I had some monster munch yesterday which contain the Monosodium Glutamate (E621) and I feel fluey today. But at least I know what caused it.

Basically if you're allergic to something, itchy nose, fullness in ears, sneezing loads and a headache all over are a good sign that your body is trying to get rid of whatever it doesn't like.

My test cost £45. The doctor visits many health centres to carry out testing. Not sure where you're from. I'm from the northwest - if you're interested to see if the doctor does testing in your area he can be contacted on 0151 652 4277. My doctor was Alan Hopewell.

Hope this helps.

lilyliz Tue 11-Oct-11 20:46:10

I have this every year when the central heating gets turned on.It eventuallt goes when I get used to the heat or not maybe this year if I can't afford it.

tink123 Tue 11-Oct-11 20:51:23

Thank you both for your replies. I think I will go and get an allergy test. I have worked out what the cause is. I don't usually wear perfume, and I put some on yesterday and my headaches started after that, along with the other symptoms. I tested my theory by putting some more on and I had the typical allergic reaction. sad

rosycheeksandasmile Tue 11-Oct-11 21:44:32

You may be allergic to fungal spores - this is the type of "hayfever" people get at this time of year. I get it a little. Hope this helps

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now