Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Newly diagnosed Hypothyroid

(14 Posts)
MothInMyKecks Tue 11-Oct-11 06:56:18

I had my diagnosis yesterday. Feel glad in a way that it's not just me being whingey and lazy, sluggish and greedy etc etc smile.

I've done a quick search on this forum only to find tons and tons of threads on thyroxine etc. But I just wanted to ask the more experienced Hypo's, what can I expect from my treatment? There seems to be so much on the internet, I'm a bit bogged down by it to be honest.

Plus, did anyone actually feel worse when they had it confirmed? I've battled on and on for well over 8 months or so, but last night, it was a mammoth effort to just move around.

My cut-off point is about 8 in the evening. I seem to cease functioning and any chores that need doing, I have to leave.

Anyway, just rambling I s'pose. Not sure what I'm expecting from this thread - a small friendly bit of advice? GP just sent me away with a prescription and that was that.

romaniabound Tue 11-Oct-11 18:20:49

Well i think it is good news that you have the diagnosis and the medicine because a lot of people have a struggle to get that far.

Don't expect miracles overnight. It will take a while to get the thyroxine into your system, it will take a while to get to the right dose for you. But if you are like me, I think you will gradually feel a return to wellbeing on all fronts: more energy gradually, better skin and hair, more alertness, ability to lose some weight again etc etc. Make sure you take your meds every day and remember to have your levels tested every few months until you get to the right dose.

I spent most of the twenties with this undiagnosed and I was like a zombie. I would ask my friends if they also could feel themselves 'aging' rapidly, as that is what I felt like! At 25 for goodness sake! And everyone just said oh yeh I am totally knackered the whole time!! Looking back at that time I feel so normal, well and energetic now and I hope this will be how it is for you.

It's not instantaneous but the meds can make a huge difference to your life!

frutilla Tue 11-Oct-11 18:24:35

I felt better very quickly on levothyroxine. I remember breaking down in tears when I was pregnant with DC1 because I couldn't make it up the stairs...I hope you feel much better soon!

Fo0ffyShmooffer Tue 11-Oct-11 18:34:22

I also felt better quite quickly once I started the Thyroxine. I had got to such a critical level by the time it was diagnosed I was started on quite a high level of medication though.
Feel better that you have a diagnosis the worst thing is not knowing.

addictediam Tue 11-Oct-11 18:45:58

Well done on getting a diagnosis and the drugs. If you dont start to feel better within 6 weeks make sure you go back.

MothInMyKecks Tue 11-Oct-11 18:47:28

Thanks ladies for replying.
I'm really glad that I have something to help me feel normal. You're right, I feel I've aged rapidly in the last 18 months or so. Even my hair has stopped growing and eve though I've made an effort to grow it since last year, it's actually getting shorter and shorter with every trim (even my regular hairdresser joked that I'd soon be bald at this rate).

MothInMyKecks Thu 13-Oct-11 10:44:48

I've noticed, 3 days into the tablets, that I'm passing loads of water. Way more than I usually do. Is this normal?

Also, someone mentioned that my extreme forgetfulness and fuzzy brain is part of the condition (my forgetfulness is a standing joke in my family recently). Can I blame this on hypothyroidism?

<makes mental note to self, to spend less time on MN and more time on researching my condition lol>

addictediam Thu 13-Oct-11 19:00:33

Yes the forgetfulness is part of the condition, no idea about water tho (not actually on tablets...yet)

Bearskinwoolies Fri 14-Oct-11 19:53:11

Yes the forgetfulness is very much part of hypothyroidism - my employer has even discovered that it's covered under the Disability Discrimination Act!

I was diagnosed last September, and my tsh was in the high double figures, whilst my t4 was very low. I've had my dosage increased steadily since then, and it's amazing what a difference it makes.

My dr has told me that it helps ALL the body's organs to work properly, so it may be that you are processing fluid more efficiently.

MothInMyKecks Sat 15-Oct-11 08:32:16

Bear, thank you.
And that's VERY interesting re the Disability Discrimination Act - your employer sounds very savvy. Have they been supportive?

Bearskinwoolies Sun 16-Oct-11 00:15:09

Yes - he's been fab. He employed me even though he knew I have other health issues, and has been an all round star.

WelshMoth Sun 16-Oct-11 10:16:21

Fantastic. I'm so pleased for you. It's lovely to hear a positive story about employers.

WelshMoth Sun 16-Oct-11 10:17:03

Should I find out what my levels are? Would it make a difference to my understanding, or do you think it would lead me to questioning my dosage?

Bearskinwoolies Sun 16-Oct-11 16:39:08

It would probably help to find out - I've always asked for mine, I like to keep informed about this stuff. As far as I'm aware - the rough guide to dosage is 1mcg per lb of bodyweight, but obviously there will be individual variances on that.

The more informed you are about it all, the better you will feel, IMO. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now