Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear tests results

(7 Posts)
SparklyGothKat Mon 10-Oct-11 22:37:51

6 months ago I had my smear test done which showed some changes. I am booked in for a repeat smear in 3 weeks time. I'm getting pretty nervous now, I had a huge breakdown when I received the letter that said my results were abnormal but then I picked myself up and put it to the back of my mind.
But now I am starting to think about what ifs. I'm hoping and praying it's normal this time.
My partner says we will deal with it if it's the worse case, and he will be here no matter what, but all I can think is I can't leave my babies if it's C.

lisad123 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:43:02

Hands her big sister a [cuppa] and give a hugs because I'm allowed grin
It will be ok, if it's not you have best people around to deal with it wink

SparklyGothKat Mon 10-Oct-11 22:46:27

Awww thanks sis love you! But I'm shitting myself now, blush

TINKERBELLE33 Mon 10-Oct-11 22:58:42

Hi

Abnormal changes do not mean cancer. Just that there are changes that could possibly or possibly not develop into cancer. My mum had this and decided to take preventative measures and have a hysterectomy. My best friend on the other hand had slight abnormal changes picked up almost 6 years ago and is happy to monitor this. So far they have stayed the same, and will hopefully stay this way. Please try not to worry too much, and if the worst happens, it should have been caught early. Easier said than done I know. Hope this puts your mind at rest a little.

SparklyGothKat Mon 10-Oct-11 23:05:45

Yea I know. I didn't put it off and it was exactly 3 years from my last smear test so if it's anything awful then I know it's been caught in good time. Fingers, and toes crossed!

mel2005 Tue 11-Oct-11 00:03:49

please dont worry, i know its hard to say but if they left it, its probably because the changes would have gone away on their own, it would have been really minor changes. if there was a chance that they would be anything more quickly, they would have had you in again before now. in the really really worst case which is what you are worrying about, its really really really unlikely that it would have developed this quickly. but i have to say its perfectly treatable if you did have the worst news. i found out i july i had cervical cancer after being recalled from a regular smear with severe changes, luckily it was stage 1A and i have had it all removed, it hasnt spread and i will be monitored for 5 years but i didnt need chemo etc. i also have to say i have hashimotos which means i cant fight it off so it might not have developed into cancer if i hadnt had an autoimmune disease. you are doing the right thing keeping appointments they will look after you and will not put you at risk.

BelaLugosidreamsofzombiesheep Tue 11-Oct-11 06:45:06

I'm guessing the letter said either "borderline changes" or "mild dyskaryosis". Around 6% of cervical screening tests show these minor changes and most will resolve without needing investigations or treatment.
You may find the colposcopists' website useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now