Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood tests, what are they testing/looking for?

(5 Posts)
catx2 Mon 10-Oct-11 11:33:37

Hi.

I've just got back from appointment with Gastro doctor after experiencing IBS symptoms for a long time.
The kind Doctor I saw doesn't think it is anything sinister and doesn't want to do any further testing right now apart from checking my blood again.
She requested FBC, LFTS, TFTS and CC 2T and something beginning with W.
I know what the first 3 means but not the other 2. Anybody else knows?
Thank you.

bagelmonkey Mon 10-Oct-11 19:16:32

Not sure what the CC 2T or W are, but DH is a gastro doc and says he would test you for coeliac disease (anti-TTG IgA level, anti-endomysial antibodies), also check Iron, B12 and folate levels, glucose level and CRP (in addition to the FBC, LFTs and TFTs)
Don't know if that helps at all. Maybe the doc's writing was bad (not unheard of!)

slartybartfast Mon 10-Oct-11 19:17:17

white cell count?

bagelmonkey Mon 10-Oct-11 19:42:49

White cell count would be part of the FBC.

catx2 Mon 10-Oct-11 20:40:08

Thank you for your replies.
Yes the writing was pretty bad and the phlebotomist actually went and asked a collegue regarding the blood request. I didn't hear what they said but when she came back she commented on the Doctors writing.
I will ask my GP when I go next week.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now