Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I never realised how ill stress can really make you..

(25 Posts)
JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 20:10:08

Had a very rough few months, most aspects of my life have had something go wrong with them and have been increasingly stressed and anxious in recent weeks. I've started feeling really ill in the last fortnight (lots of symptoms - feeling sick, indigestion, hadaches, stomach pain and other unpleasant symptoms). Now, I am am going to the GP to rule out anything else just in case.

I know it's stress though. Have spoken with DP about it and he's had pretty severe stree (with severe symptoms) in the past.. I never realised how awful it can really be.

Not sure why I'm posting to be honest..

beatenbyayellowskull Sat 08-Oct-11 20:17:32

I understand. I had a really stressful time about 2 years ago and was diagnosed with IBS, triggered by dairy and stress. Had all the same symptoms as you've described.

It went away, generally, except it came back last week (had an unusually stressful week at work) just for a week.

I usually have the consitution of a horse so this really rocked me.

Squishylicious Sat 08-Oct-11 20:17:42

I know, it's awful. Not bad enough that you are going through a stressful time but then it makes you ill too. Hope you feel better soon.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 20:19:58

Beaten - I was wondering about IBS - I have had symptoms of that too (prior to this awful 4 months) so it's probably exacerbated by it all. Was wondering if dairy could be a trigger, eggs certainly are for me. I think I will start keeping a food diary and see if that makes a difference.

Squishy - thanks smile

beatenbyayellowskull Sat 08-Oct-11 20:22:51

They gave me mebeverine to stop stomach cramps, and fybogel to help me poo blush

Good luck, it's really debilitating but it's hard to explain to others.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 20:25:37

beaten - I have the opposite problem blush

TTC at the moment, despite all of this crap, that's not stressful in the slightest is it confused

Gah.. when I think about stressful things my stomach just ties itself in knots. Need some calming destressing things I think!

beatenbyayellowskull Sat 08-Oct-11 20:31:07

Ah. Then don't take fybogel grin

Definitely do things to destress, one way or another. It's in your head, so do something around your thoughts/patterns of thinking.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 08-Oct-11 20:32:58

Yep, stress can and does make you ill. I have been poorly on and off for the last 3 years and it really gets you down. I hope you feel better soon.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 20:57:53

Thanks FAB - how are you BTW?

TheOriginalFAB Sat 08-Oct-11 21:03:10

Shattered. Got 2 doctor appointments next week and a difficult week coming up but as long as FABCat is okay, I will be fine.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 21:12:32

How are the migraines?

TheOriginalFAB Sat 08-Oct-11 21:14:06

Mostly gone but I still have the odd small headache.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 21:30:15

Oh good, did you ever find out what it was?

Thankfully, despite everything else that's been going in, I have at least been migraine free.

TheOriginalFAB Sat 08-Oct-11 21:34:11

No, I have too much going on and my body does tend to react to pressure.

Hope you are okay?

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 21:36:51

Not really. Had an awful few months. 2 MCs, work hell, total lack if support and nosy has finally given in. I'm going to take some steps with work but annoying can't go back on ADs due to TTC. Fun times.

Stickwithit Sat 08-Oct-11 21:37:32

I agree, two really stressful periods in my life I felt so unwell physically (stomach cramps, sweating, constant butterflies, shakes, early waking etc.). The feeling unwell bit made it so hard for my brain to deal with the stressful situation- it was a vicious circle.

Both times my totally brilliant GP prescribed betablockers which were amazing at relieving my symptoms. Obviously every situation is different but for me they were amazing as they removed the physical symptoms of stress and sort of made space for me to deal with things.

Sorry to ramble about myself but thought it might be of use to someone in case their situation is similar to mine.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 21:37:49

Body, not nosy. Fucking phone

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 08-Oct-11 21:39:57

Stickwithit - thank you, beta blockers sound interesting.

Has anybody got experience of meditation working? It's how I've dealt with things in the past but things have never been this bad before

TheOriginalFAB Sun 09-Oct-11 11:42:58

Sorry to hear that, Jareth. I am having anxiety attacks daily which makes a change from daily migraines but are more annoying as they effect my breathing. I am seeing the GP tomorrow for a follow up appointment after my bad asthma attacks and I will tell him about the anxiety attacks in the hope he can help me.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 09-Oct-11 20:59:58

Glad you're seeing the GP - I need to ring tomorrow for an appt and hoping I can see one of the 3 excellent (and constantly booked) GPs at my surgery, but a bit scared about going. I feel a bit of a fraud tbh confused

Good luck tomorrow.. hope you get heard and get the help you need. Would beta blockers be an option?

TheOriginalFAB Sun 09-Oct-11 21:02:05

The thought of them scare me tbh. Tmw is just about my asthma but I have to say about the anxiety attacks as nhsdirect thought I was having an asthma attack and sent an ambulance.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 09-Oct-11 21:05:31

I don't know much about them tbh, but keep getting recommended them. can you even take them with asthma?

superdragonmama Sun 09-Oct-11 21:17:28

So sorry to hear about your problems, Jareth, and Original Fab.

Another sufferer from stress related illness here; in fact, have had 2 very recent bouts v similar to yours, Jareth - stress definitely can cause physical illness.

I had betablockers when going through an awful stressful divorce 5-6 yrs ago, and they worked like a dream for me: just gave me enough mental 'space' to keep functioning, which was absolutely essential (3 young kids and a job to keep going!).

Nowadays, I try to 'allow' myself to believe in the effect of stress on my body, as well as my mind, and when I get ill I try to create some time to relax myself. In my case that includes knitting/crochet/trawling computer for fun things/ walking more/ ideally a weekend away (big luxury!). Anything really.

I also make myself go to my fantastic gp, and even have a few cbt type sessions with the practice psychologist if necessary, if the stress is getting too much.

You're not a fraud! - though how I empathise with your feeling! IMHE a good gp can and will be very supportive, and can access all sorts of useful help for you. Very good luck tomorrow.

Meglet Mon 10-Oct-11 21:15:17

I'm relieved it's not just me. At heart I'm pretty fit (I go to the gym, take my vits, never smoked, healthy weight) but in the last couple of years I've had times I feel like my body is packing up on me sad.

GP has referred me to the hospital for a colonoscopy to see if my IBS is something else, whatever it is it's far worse during the week and calms down at the weekend. I've been getting cracking palpitations too, GP had a good listen to my heart and said it all sounds ok and it's probably just the stress. He said that constant stress will take it's toll on the body.

<<sigh>>

I do have 2 weeks off at Xmas. We shall do nothing, hurray!

TheOriginalFAB Tue 11-Oct-11 07:58:52

I suppose it is obvious that stress will take its toll on your body but it isn't
talked about much. I have a peak flow now so at least I can check myself if it is an asthma attack or anxiety before I ovedrdose on the inhalers or panic more than I need too. The GP has said if it is less than 350 I have to seek help. I can't believe I have to see a doctor every time I have an attack though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now