Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Irreg periods/ weight struggles/ Underactive thyroid/ to start metformin for PCOS..........

(7 Posts)
shellmc Fri 07-Oct-11 21:37:01

Hi Im 26 and have a DS age 2.
Recently been back and forward to GP with Irregular periods, pains, facial hair and struggling with my weight.

I am currently on thyroxine 75mcg daily for underactive thyroid and know that these symptoms can be due to thyroid problems...last tsh level about 4 months ago 2.30, so know thats under control.

Going bk to april i came off the pill as i was bleeding frequently on it.
My periods have been very irregular since then, and last cycles have been 43 days long 45 days and now currently on day 53!!!!
GP decided to run sum hormone tests to make sure everything was ok.
LH-FSH came back abnormal, LH levels being higher than FSH.
Aswell as irreg periods, abnormal bloods i also have facial hair increasing latley, and dry, spotty skin.
Despite dieting and taking up jogging and zumba my weight just wont shift.

Anyhow i got referred to endocrinologist and had my appt last friday, she is almost certain that i have PCOS. And has taken more blood of me to be tested and has mentioned starting me on Metformin.
My TSH from last friday was 4.15. Liver tests fine aswell as Urea and Electrolyes. Glucose 5.6-which i think is fine.
Still waiting on TESTOSTERONE and SHBG results, but gp did run these a few months ago with LH-FSH tests and Testo and SHBG wer both fine????
Endo also doing a test Androgens, no result back for that yet.
She prescribed me a cream to use for facial hair which im hoping will start and make a f=difference soon, no more plucking will be needed FX.
As my Glucose was normal ? Would i still need to take Metformin as she mentioned insulin related in PCOS.
Even if Testo + SHBG are ok again could it still be PCOS?

Sorry for all the questions but i just dont understand what is going on?

Also keep getting headaches and constipation just to add to my problems sad

Jessicaalbastwin Sat 08-Oct-11 21:48:59

I haven't got much knowledge on pcos and under active thyroid but, I think both problems cause weight gain, as I understand ones metabolism is very slow with an underactive thyroid, maybe your endo needs to increase your dose.
Headaches and constipation are also symptoms of an underactive thyroid, maybe try eating more fibre or fybogel. I think if you have one autoimmune disease, you are more likely to have other autoimmune diseases in the future.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 09-Oct-11 08:59:44

shellmc

LH/FSH imbalance is one indicator of PCOS. Your symptoms to me indicate that you have PCOS. Would put money on it as well that you have an excessive level of androgens (that would account for the hisuitism), testosterone and SHBG.

Not all women with PCOS are insulin resistant but Metformin can assist with some aspects of this condition. Metformin though can cause stomach problems and upset, do speak to the endocrinologist again about this before you start taking it (forewarned is forearmed).

Your thyroid condition needs careful management; I would be asking for regular blood tests to be done.

www.verity-pcos.org.uk is a website re PCOS that you may want to look at.

shellmc Sun 09-Oct-11 15:31:11

Thanks Jessicaalbastwin and AttilaTheMeerkat for your replys.
After looking on a website the other night i saw that headaches and constiptaion are 2 of the symptoms you get with underactive thyroid, so will try upping the fibre intake. Fybogel? Can you buy that over the counter?

AttilaTheMeerkat you seem to know alot about PCOS, my prev tests fro testo+shbg were both normal a few months ago, but they are being retested again, along with the androgens. What does the androgen test show??

RE: Lh-Fsh results which are going back to around june time, at the time i had them taken i didnt know where i was with my cycles and so didnt have them done on day 1-5 like your recommened to.
It was a few weeks after i had bloods taken that i had my first period in a few months. Makes me wonder if the LH were raised because of peak time in my cycle???? I really dont know, and dont want to start medication if i dont need it. ........but on another note my periods and still irregular im on day 54 now and still nothing!!!!!!

Jessicaalbastwin Sun 09-Oct-11 16:08:40

Hi shellmc, yes you can buy fybogel over the counter, asda sells it too.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 09-Oct-11 17:53:11

Excess amounts of androgens can pose a problem, resulting in such "virilizing effects" as acne, hirsutism (excess hair growth in "inappropriate" places, like the chin or upper lip) and thinning hair.

Many women with high levels of a form of testosterone called "free" testosterone have polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), characterized by irregular or absent menstrual periods, infertility, blood sugar disorders, and, in some cases, symptoms like acne and excess hair growth. Left untreated, high levels of androgens, regardless of whether a woman has PCOS or not, are associated with serious health consequences, such as insulin resistance and diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and heart disease.

I was diagnosed with PCOS just over a decade ago.

If your cycles are irregular the blood tests can actually be done according to calendar days so it can be done on day 2 in the cycle (for testing and comparing LH against FSH.

HTH a bit, any other questions just ask.

shellmc Mon 10-Oct-11 19:23:11

thanku Jessicaalbstwin will get sum to try and make it easier on the loo blush.

Will wait and see what my adrogen levels come bk as, i have hair on my top lip and chin and more than average hairs on my arms, and belly button area blush.

So if my lh fsh levels wer high, but wasnt on day 2, could i actually have a normal reading if repeated on day 2?? I know sumthing isnt right with me, but i am scared than i start the metformin and i dont actually need it!!

Could my irregualar periods be down to my thyroid?? Iv been in agony all weekend getting period cramps but nothing happening!! Is there anything doc can give you to bring your period on??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now