Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

STILL BLEEDING HEAVY AFTER A MONTH LONG PERIOD..BRING ON THE IRON TABS!!

(9 Posts)
zara206y Fri 07-Oct-11 14:36:19

I have already got a post on here so please have a look at the full story...going into hosp on MOnday for G/A and examination for Cervical Erosion and having treatment to it for the 100th time! BUT now since my last preop check i havent stopped having my period for over a month now. Been lightheaded so now taking Iron supplement. Had to take 3 doses of Paracetamol for bad bad period pain on my left side over the month. Little bit worried as although sometimes my periods have been a bit off course this is the worst they have ever been. I have never bled this much, nor have they been so so heavy, inc big Clots and all. I am 42yrs old and the gynae has mentioned that we may need to go downt the route of Hysterectomy at some stage. Anyone got any thoughts?
(see my other post about this too)

orangeflutie Fri 07-Oct-11 15:46:52

About a year ago I had a period that was really heavy and didn't stop. I went to see the doctor in the end and she gave me some tablets to stop it. I think norhisterone? I'm 43 btw.

I ended up having endometrial ablation as my periods were so heavy. This has been really successful and now I get much shorter and lighter periods. This can be a good alternative to having a hysterectomy.

zara206y Sat 08-Oct-11 10:46:55

oh yes i have a regular supply of the Northesterone tabs and yes it makes it stop but i want them to get to the bottom of why its happening.

orangeflutie Sat 08-Oct-11 11:37:07

I believe my heavy bleeding was caused by endometriosis and a cyst. Both were found during a laparoscopy. I'm guessing you've already had one of these? and probably scans etc.

whoatethelastbiscuit Sat 08-Oct-11 17:58:10

I had heavy periods for ages but in recent years became really heavy, flooding and large clots, ended up severely anaemic for a long time. tried northesterone and something else which slips my memory at mo. with limited success. Had all the test and they couldn't be sure what it was and ended up having a hysterectomy nearly 3 weeks ago. Turned out had adenomyosis which I'd never heard of, when checked it out I had all classic symptoms except the pain, which is why I suspect they had ruled it out. Might be worth checking it out and seeing if it matches your symptoms, it's not quite as common as fibroids but not rare either. Like you I just wanted to understand what was happening and why, hope you get it sorted, good luck

Rogers1 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:20:27

Hi, I was diagnosed with Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding when my son was 11weeks old. I bled from when he was born til he was nearly 1. It really was a hellish year...norethisterone was bad for me & the high levels of synthetic hormones were literally sending me down a hormonal spiral!
I finally...after 1 year...have found alternative therapy- agnus cactus tablets. They have stopped the bleed & really controls it when I have the break from the pill.
I would seek advice from your GP...second opinions if you are still not satisfied. I had to seek consultancy help...and I finally got diagnosed.
I can understand how bleeding so heavily can disrupt everything. I hopeful get relief soon.

Rogers1 Mon 10-Oct-11 13:23:18

Just realised my post hijacked your thread- sorry! Just really wanted to express my understanding & offer advice.

zara206y Tue 11-Oct-11 16:32:03

HI everyone well i went into hospital yesterday for a general anaesthetic and i had a D & C, Hysteroscopy and colposcopy! According to my letter i came home with it says "found to have an enteverted uterus with a 7cm cavity containing a posterior wall polyp which was removed. Curettings were taken for analysis. At Colposcopy she had an extropian with mild aceto-white consistent with viral change a biopsy was taken and the lesion diathermed.

Ok so i have looked up the Anteverted uterus = my uterus is tipping forward ? So is this an issue? 7cm cavity =7cm hole? He said the polyp would of been causing my bleeding for a month. Now the main bit that does concern me more and reduced me to tears is the bit about the aceto-white which according to the net COULD BE pre cancerous changes. I freaked out. Anyone got any ideas? I go back in 2 wks for a post op check and to discuss the results im guessing.

Rogers1 Tue 11-Oct-11 18:09:45

It's great that u now have answers to the problem- it can now be dealt with & u can get on the mend. I don't have any further advice...just my best wishes & I'm sure u will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now