Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weight Loss after childbirth

(5 Posts)
RollOnTheMum Fri 07-Oct-11 08:09:10

Anyone else lost a great deal of weight after childbirth? My DS is nearly 8 months and I weigh much less than I did now before i was pregnant. I have only just introduced formula so perhaps bfeeding is the culprit, but i eat plenty of food - big evening meals such as spag bol, curries; big lunches, and have a sweet tooth so am munching on sweets and biscuits throughout the day too! I was 9 stone 3 when got pregnant, put on nearly 4 stone with DS but now i weigh 8st 9ibs, it is still dropping off! BTW, I am 5ft 6. I am very tired but i attribute that to DS still not sleeping through. Anyone know more about the thyroid thing or do you think its because i only just stopped bfeeding bar one feed in the morning? confused

xxxx

Eviepoo Fri 07-Oct-11 11:36:26

I would guess it is the breastfeeding. With my first PG I gained just less than a stone and lost that within a week of birth and in the following 3 months I lost 1.5 stone. That was 12 years ago! I slowly gained a wee bit (about a stone) after stopping breastfeeding when DD1 was 1 year. I never diete during BF - and just ate when hungry, which was often.
Then about 5 years ago (thanks to changing jobs) I put on about 2.5 stone. Last year I managed to shift a bit of it by diet and exercise then got PG. I gained between 1.5 and 2 stone this time. Was back to pre PG weight by 2 weeks and DD2 was 6 weeks old yesterday and I have lost another 6lbs. Again I am not dieting at all.
You do use extra calories when BF.

paddypoopants Fri 07-Oct-11 11:42:56

It could be bfing but it might be your thyroid. It happened to a friend of mine and it turned out she had an overactive thyroid. She got medication and it settled down after a year or so obviously pregnancy related.

ihearthuckabees Fri 07-Oct-11 13:41:03

I didn't gain too much weight when pregnant, then went back to pre-pregnancy weight within 6 weeks. Then continued to lose weight while I breastfed (for 22 months). I went down by over a stone. It slowly went back to pre pregnancy weight once I stopped. It doesn't sound like you've lost too much to be honest, and remember, you will be on the go much more with a young baby.

RollOnTheMum Fri 07-Oct-11 16:43:23

That's true about it not being an awful lot of weight - i think it looks worse coz i always lose it in my face and look quite gaunt. Ill persevere with cakes and bikkies! Sure it will creep back up eventually. Thanks all for your comments smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now