Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Blood Groups

(11 Posts)
InNeedOfCoffee Thu 06-Oct-11 21:25:52

I am a blood donor, the NBS have my blood group listed as A rh+.
When i was pregnant with my fist childmy blood tests showed i am a rh-, when my midwife investigated this it turns out i have very slight +ve blood. So what i was wandering is how does this happen, i have been told for the purposes of donating i will be treated and rh+ but when recieving i will be treated as rh-. Just intesteded if anyone can shed some light on this for me?
Thank you

onetimefriend Sat 08-Oct-11 08:45:06

no idea but it sounds odd- thought you were either one or the other! Have you googled?

Iamseeingstars Sat 08-Oct-11 10:41:55

I would be very worried if I was given blood that had been labelled as one but could be some of the other.

Getting the wrong blood can cause so much damage to the recipient.

Do the blood people test your blood each time you donate some to to see what you are? When you receive blood you have a test every time to recheck what your blood type is.

rubyrubyruby Sat 08-Oct-11 10:46:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Iamseeingstars Sat 08-Oct-11 10:49:19

Some extracts on google

Transfusions are typically restricted to matching Rh+ donor to Rh+ recipient.
Rh - recipients should not be given Rh+ blood transfusion.
Rh - blood can be transfused into Rh- or Rh+ recipient.

:

rubyrubyruby Sat 08-Oct-11 10:57:20

Iamseeingstars Sat 08-Oct-11 11:18:31

Yes, we crossed, I was typing and your post was there when I posted

rubyrubyruby Sat 08-Oct-11 11:22:44

Iamseeingstars Sat 08-Oct-11 11:27:58

but cant find anything about people being both + and -

InNeedOfCoffee Sat 08-Oct-11 19:47:24

Thank you, yes the blood service do check your type every time you donate, and blood type is also tested with each pregnancy, with both pregnancys i have anti-d. the midwife was very confused and had to call the blood service to double check their records then re-tested my blood for themselves.

InNeedOfCoffee Sat 08-Oct-11 19:51:06

what i dont really understand is why i would need anti-d if i have some +ve, as surley by body wouldnt reject a baby as a foreign body if it already has some +ve?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now