Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Metronidazole???

(6 Posts)
Going2bamum Thu 06-Oct-11 16:17:10

hey can anyone tell me if this antibiotic is safe during breastfeeding? My gp says different to my midwife???
My baby is only 14 days old and I have this infection has anyone else taken it???

zen1 Thu 06-Oct-11 20:07:24

Hi, I was prescribed this for a post-birth infection and was told different things. I ended up ringing the pharmacy of the hospital where I gave birth and they said at the dose I was prescribed, it was safe. However, it really does depend on the dose I think, so the best person to speak to would be a pharmacist (or contact the ward where you gave birth and they should be able to advise.). I was told that they use this antibiotic a lot for post birth infections and most people are able to breastfeed. Good luck

Going2bamum Thu 06-Oct-11 22:24:25

Thanks I'm taking 400 mg 3 x a day for 7 days! I'll ring the hospital tomorrow !

I took that dose when BFing.

Who is saying it is safe, and who is saying it isn't?

Going2bamum Thu 06-Oct-11 23:27:37

A book the gp referred to says avoid breastfeeding but pharmacy said would be ok?

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 23:32:43

gp's often err on the side of caution, the book may be old, or it may have said not to because there isn't enough data.. that doesn't mean it is unsafe.

i would trust the pharmacist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now