Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Going to have a hystorectamy - how long did it take you to recover?

(16 Posts)
BumptiousandBustly Wed 05-Oct-11 15:22:11

I need to have my ovaries and my womb out (SEVERE hormonal imbalance after birth of second child).

I don't have a date or anything yet, but am wondering how long it will take me to recover afterwards - DH will take time off work, but there is obv only so much time he can take.

Anyone have any experience of this? How did you cope? NB no family nearby so no help available there!

KatharineClifton Wed 05-Oct-11 15:24:30

Took my mum a good 3 months. You really need to get some help in place for post op week - it is not a nice op - and you need to give yourself time to recover properly.

KatharineClifton Wed 05-Oct-11 15:24:49

And find out about HRT for afterwards.

BumptiousandBustly Wed 05-Oct-11 15:36:52

Katherine - I will be on oestrogen only post op (am mid thirties so its getting a lot of attention from the docs). They are taking out the womb so that I don't have to take progesterone too (sends me loopy)

DH will take at least a week off - but we have two young children 1 and 3 - so was wondering how long i will need help for

BelaLugosidreamsofzombiesheep Wed 05-Oct-11 21:31:12

recent thread here may be useful info/support

Almostfifty Wed 05-Oct-11 23:19:01

I had a full hysterectomy by laparoscopy three years ago when I was 45. Got out of bed the next day, and was walking around dressed the day after, hassling to go back home.

I was honestly feeling almost back to normal within a week. I was told not to do any hoovering or ironing for six weeks, so my poor husband ran around ragged for that time, after taking a week off when I came home from hospital.

Obviously you'd not want to pick up your little ones for a while.

MadAsASnakeNana Wed 05-Oct-11 23:52:23

Going to take you a good 2/3 months to get completely on your feet again. You might feel great getting out of hospital and home again, but you will get very tired quickly. Be gentle with yourself, it's a big op and you'll need the time to recover properly.
If your DCs have a nap during the day, have one with them.
Take things fairly gently at first, all the best.

Northernlurker Wed 05-Oct-11 23:55:31

I wonder if the local college can send you a childcare student for a bit? A friend of mine had one when she had three under two. Obviously you don't leave them in sole charge but it's nice to have somebody to play with the kids whilst you put washing on or clean the bath or in your case stay very still with your feet up. Might be worth an ask - or ask your health visitor if she knows of any volunteers. They can only say no and you're no worse off than now.

KatharineClifton Thu 06-Oct-11 00:10:37

That's a brilliant idea Northernlurker. Surestart (if it still exists) should also be able to help, especially as it is short term.

BumptiousandBustly Thu 06-Oct-11 09:51:13

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. Homestart is actually no longer being funded where I live unfortunately.

Also the thing with the local college, they need experience with little babies - so would go to someone who had two under two - but not to me, who has a one year old and a three year old!

Have checked this in the past.

current thinking is that if I get DH to take two weeks off - then, if necessary, get a temp nanny in a for a week (can't really afford it, but needs must). And then possibly get a local childminder just to take DS1 to and from preschool. I am hoping that would be enough.

Unfortunately there is simply no choice about having the op - so will just have to soldier on.

Does anyone know how long it is before you are allowed to drive?

Will check out the link given. thanks

copycat Thu 06-Oct-11 10:56:07

Hi Bumptious, as I mentioned in the other thread, with my GP's permission, I was driving after 3 weeks but I do have an automatic car.

Hope the op goes well.

BumptiousandBustly Thu 06-Oct-11 17:14:30

copycat - I also have an automatic, so that is reasurring. ;-)

LilyPickle Thu 06-Oct-11 19:15:39

I had a hysterectomy in January this year and I can honestly say it took me a good 6mths to fully recover even though I was back at work way before that. Even now I get wiped out some days but no longer get twinges of pain.

Erm, what to say. I think you will be surprised at how well you feel in the immediate days and weeks afterwards....it didn't feel like I'd had a major operation at all. Pain was minimal but I got a lot of twinges if I stretched a bit wrong that sort of thing.

The worst thing was the tiredness which came on in waves of absolute exhaustion, oh and walking. For at least 6 weeks I could barely walk any distance at all, it was like my legs would not work. Driving at around 6 weeks - was definitely ready to by then mentally but felt so spaced out still at that stage. I remember the first time I went to a supermarket, I felt like I was in my own little bubble.

Housework - please don't ignore the recommendations for no lifting, hoovering, ironing etc because you can end up doing more damage and it really is not worth it - I didn't listen and ended up ripping my scar tissue.

Are you keeping your cervix or are they taking that as well, do you know? Mine went and sex is different. If I could have had the choice, I would have kept it so do read up on the pro's and con's because if you are having a hysterectomy for hormonal reasons it may be that you are able to keep it.

Sure there is loads more - I don't regret having it done for a single minute. I had no choice (I was only 37 and had Ovarian Cancer) but would recommend anyone who is thinking about it to have it done.

Oh, and I know lots of people in their 30's who have also had it, so you are not alone there. smile

If you think of anything else, just ask.

zara206y Fri 07-Oct-11 14:27:40

LilyPickle can i ask a question? I am going into hosp on monday for exploratory examination of my womb as loads of probs (cervical erosion and now bleeding for a month at a time with my periods)...they have mentioned going down the lines of a hysterectomy but im worried as i want to be sure what they are taking out will be for the right reasons. What about your sex drive if you have no hormones? I am single and have been for months and months but have a good sex drive when im in a relationship and im worried this will go out the window. Sorry to be crued but where does the moisture come from when you have had everything taken out? Is it a case of KY!? Sorry to ask but im terrified about monday and its just a day surgery as its just a see whats going on thing and maybe some small simple treatment.

Almostfifty Fri 07-Oct-11 21:43:57

When I had my hysterectomy I was put on strong HRT, and within a month I was gagging for sex, absolutely desperate! Needed lubricant though.

However, I also had boobs bigger than when I'd just given birth, and was fatter than I'd ever been.

Went to the doctor, she halved my HRT and sorted the problem out.

I still have a very active sex life.

olaybiscuitbarrel Tue 11-Oct-11 12:40:29

I had a hysterectomy at 30, due to cervical cancer. I kept my ovaries though as they were not affected. My DD was only 5 months old and that made it very very difficult - we moved in with my parents for 5 weeks in the end as I couldn't lift her and struggled with the steep stairs at home (was still bfing too and had a bit of a struggle keeping that going, doctors didn't seem to understand that it was important to me!).
It hit me pretty hard, I found I could only walk short distances and got very, very tired. I also had a UTI which was incredibly painful and slowed my recovery.
My advice would be to get as much help as you can organised - you might not need it but best to be on the safe side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now