Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tired all the time - a symptom of something?

(10 Posts)
octopusinabox Wed 05-Oct-11 11:51:52

or just one of those things?

I've been tired for months and it's finally getting me down. I feel weak a lot of the time and have to go to bed early - sometimes as soon as my husband gets home from work. I'm overweight but trying to lose it and eating healthily and am also doing c25k but some days can hardly get off the sofa. I'm not the lazy sort so it's not just an excuse to MN honest smile

I'm off to the doctors this week but am I likely to be turned away as the symptoms are just so vague aren't they I can't imagine what they can do but life shouldn't be like this either.

Not sure what anyone else can say but was just wondering if anyone else had this and did they solve it?

whoatethelastbiscuit Wed 05-Oct-11 15:13:07

Anaemia? Maybe they could do a blood test to see what your iron/ferratin levels are like, quite quick and painless, and unless there is an underlining cause easy to rectify with iron tablets. Good luck at the doctors.

KatharineClifton Wed 05-Oct-11 15:31:20

Yep, Iron defciency, or a thyroid disorder, or diabetes or any number of disorders really. The GP won't dismiss you and will order a full blood count.

Is your diet balanced or are you cutting out carbs to cut calories?

octopusinabox Wed 05-Oct-11 15:57:57

Thanks, I'm hoping they won't just dismiss me as fat and lazy. I'm on Slimming World so not cutting out carbs too much and eating tons of fruit and veg.

paulapantsdown Wed 05-Oct-11 16:06:28

Ask for a thyroid test. Do you have any other symptoms? Dry hair/skin, achy joints, trouble concentrating/husky voice/lack of libido?'

Make a list of EXACTLY what you feel is wrong and don't be fobbed off.
Good Luck.

OriginalPoster Wed 05-Oct-11 16:13:56

How is your mood? Do you sleep badly? Or wake early? Are you very overweight, could you have sleep apnoea? How's your libido? Make sue you tell the GP if any of these are an issue. Spell out how tired you mean, like going to bed early. Does it interfere with day to day activities, family life?

They see a stream of tired people, make sure they realise you are serious.

You should get a general examination, urine test, blood pressure and bloods to look for common causes of tiredness.

Hope they sort you out smile

octopusinabox Wed 05-Oct-11 16:25:53

Thanks for the tips on what to think about. I've made a list of symptoms which may or may not be related which I'll take in with me. Most things are again vague.

aching - yes, but then I'm making myself do c25k so could be that.
sex life - what's that then?
apnoea - don't think so and don't snore at all
concentration - have hardly any these days but then it's been downhill since having children so probably unrelated.
voice - no change as far as I know

octopusinabox Thu 13-Oct-11 12:44:42

Well, it turns out it must just be one of those things. I've spent the week feeling knackered and dizzy every now and then but blood test results are back and apart from elevated esr levels (which having googled i'm none the wiser on) it's all fine. Obviously that's good that I'm apparently healthy but it doesn't help with the feeling tired all the time problem.

Now I feel like I must just suffering from skivalitus.

OriginalGhoster Thu 13-Oct-11 13:21:42

High ESR? If it's properly high, not just a little and you're aching, has the GP thought about polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR)? Very treatable, causes tiredness, weakness, aching and stiffness, often in morning? Keep complaining (to your GP) if you're not improving, you know your own body and it doesn't sound as though you feel healthy.

OriginalGhoster Thu 13-Oct-11 13:25:25

Have been thinking you're probably a bit young for PMR, (usually affects older women ) but there are other rheumatological conditions which they might look for if you are not improving with a high ESR.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now