Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I know this makes me sound mental but...

(12 Posts)
notnowImreading Tue 04-Oct-11 21:47:53

On Friday last week I was on the loo in our downstairs toilet and the cat pushed the door open and came in yowling for attention. I bent down to give her a stroke and whacked my head very hard on the sink (which has been in the same place, same spatial relationship to the loo, for 5 years). Hooray for me.

That's the clumsy bit (normal for me). This is the nutcase bit: I now have a very defined linear dip in my forehead that I can feel with my fingers. It wasn't there before. Is it possible that I could have hurt/broken my skull and still be functioning normally apart from a very sore forehead and embarrassed expression? Nutcase, right?

HumphreyCobbler Tue 04-Oct-11 21:58:05

how strange

sorry, I am no help at all

Tianc Tue 04-Oct-11 22:05:49

Oh, I thought you meant mentally ill! Erm, surely it would be painful to the point of nausea if you've actually broken something?

Btw, some of us were trying to not use "mental" when we just mean "daft", because using a common medical term as a slightly derogatory word has a long-term negative impact on reactions to real mental illness.

<offers OP fucknuggets with barbecue sauce>

<worries about concussion and snatches them away again>

Tianc Tue 04-Oct-11 22:08:06

Btw, I really do have a groove in my skull from an accident as a child, but it was a sharp blow. There was blood. But no fracture.

Hassled Tue 04-Oct-11 22:10:01

Blimey. I think any "linear dip in my forehead that I can feel with my fingers" should be checked out forthwith by a medical professional. Go and see your GP and they can tell you whether you are "daft" or fractured.

notnowImreading Wed 05-Oct-11 19:26:53

Thank you all for being so sweet. Turns out that yes, I was just being ridiculous: there was a groove on my head, but there was also another one that I hadn't noticed on the other side of the (perfectly normal for a banged head) bump that is now starting to go down.

KatharineClifton Wed 05-Oct-11 19:28:59

Tianc - that is the most polite and lovely way I've seen ableism described. Am stealing!

Tianc Wed 05-Oct-11 20:11:38

<offers fucknuggets to KC grin>

notnow, can you come back and tell us if you're still alive? I can't see it actually being broke, but I am faintly worried...

gingeroots Wed 05-Oct-11 21:49:54

I tripped over cat and banged forehead on wall ,nearly passed out .
Have had small dent in my forehead ever since .

notnowImreading Fri 07-Oct-11 22:52:26

Sorry, can't come back - am lying dead on the bathroom floor...grin
Turns out I am not broken, just a drama queen. The lump has gone down, the dent has popped back out again and the bruise is coming through nicely in a sort of brown colour so I just look a bit dirty and unkempt. I have learned my lesson though. Spatial awareness and a sense of proportion now rule!

Tianc Fri 07-Oct-11 23:11:01

shock Popped back out! What, like going to the panel beaters? grin

Glad you're OK, and fanks for coming back to tell us!

notnowImreading Fri 07-Oct-11 23:12:25

I think exactly like going to the panel beaters - that's the picture in my mind anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now