Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomy

(6 Posts)
pilates Tue 04-Oct-11 20:42:36

I am on the waiting list and have a pre-assessment in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone had this and what can I expect?

I've told my work it will be a 6 week recovery, is that correct?

copycat Tue 04-Oct-11 21:17:14

Yep I've had a subtotal abdominal hysterectomy and I am so pleased I did. I had the surgery late on a Thursday about 5pm and I came home on the following Monday morning. Despite being discharged with an incisional hernia I was still able to keep an appointment in London the following Friday and that weekend I was painting DS1's bedroom on Saturday and out at church and visiting friends on the Sunday. With the permission of my GP I was driving (an automatic car) after 3 weeks.

Naturally you need to follow the advice of your surgeon and GP and keep within your own pain threshold but hopefully you will recover from the operation within the 6 week period you are expecting. I am sure your gynaecologist will advise you when you are fit to return to work but I would expect that period to 6 weeks or longer depending on the type of job you do.

I do hope that your operation goes well and that your health or pain improves as a result smile

Meglet Tue 04-Oct-11 21:23:23

I've had one, ovaries still in but the rest of it was whipped out.

I had an abdominal one and was told to take 12 weeks off work. 6 weeks to recover and rest and 6 weeks to get my strength back. Really not too bad TBH, had a nice sleep thanks to the GA, day 2 was shit but after that I perked up.

I was off paracetamol after 4 days though, but I didn't do a thing for ages, I didn't leave the house for 2 weeks. Everyone else looked after the kids for me.

I'll have to come back tomorrow or thursday with more details, I'm not meant to be on MN tonight!

BelaLugosidreamsofzombiesheep Tue 04-Oct-11 21:45:49

I can recommend the Hysterectomy association website. There are very supportive forums there too.

Peppermint tea very useful post-op to deal with gases!
Depending on the type of hyst, expect to be tired and not as mentally focussed for a few weeks (due to general anaesthetic).

Baggy trousers and slip on shoes. Plenty of pillows.

whoatethelastbiscuit Wed 05-Oct-11 14:50:19

I think it depends on so many things, particularly your state of health before op. I had abdominal H few weeks ago and found week 1 not too bad but was in bed, week 2 much harder, oh my goodness the gas, for me peppermint tea has been a life saver, at worst points had cup every 2 hours to control things, now turned a corner and feeling on the up. Don't expect too much from yourself, rest, don't lift anything heavy and take painkillers when you need them (after 2.5 weeks I am still on paracetamol every 4 hours but they do the trick, keep trying to cut them down/out but not ready yet, impressed with Meglet managing after 4 deays), cushions in bed are useful - particularly under your knees if you lie on you back or just supporting your tummy - my bed looks like a nest of pillows - dh in the spare room at the moment. Was speaking to my consultant earlier in week and he said he thought I would be "functional but not a lot more" at 6 weeks, think he is being pessimistic, and should expect to feel getting back to normal in 3-6 months, but then I am mid 40's and my problems left me severely anaemic, now the worst of the pain is over I am really happy had it done, I get my life back after years of problems. Good luck

pilates Thu 06-Oct-11 11:05:13

Thanks everyone for your replies. Will stock up on the peppermint tea!

I suppose I will find out from Gynaecologist what type of hysterectomy I'm having.

I'm having it for bulky fibroids so like you whoatethelastbiscuit I'm looking forward to getting my life back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now