Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

flexible sigmoidoscopy

(3 Posts)
MegGriffin Tue 04-Oct-11 12:33:27

Hello. I have found out I am on the waiting list for this procedure. Has anyone got any experience of this please. Also will they offer me sedation or will I have to ask for it? tia

callow Tue 04-Oct-11 13:35:58

Where I work we don't offer sedation for a flexible sigmoidoscopy, but be do offer Entonox (gas and air). We will give sedation if someone specifically requests (usually they have had the test before and know they need it) but they must have someone to take them home and be with them for the next 24 hours. Some are done in the outpatient clinic and others in the Endoscopy Unit. Painwise it can range from no pain at all to severe cramping pain, although most just have mild to moderate cramping sensations.

I would ring the Endoscopy Dept at the hospital and ask about what they offer as pain relief for flexible sigmoidscopies. Each unit will have a different protocol.

MegGriffin Tue 04-Oct-11 13:40:10

Thank you callow. I will ring them when I get an appointment. I assume if sedation was needed they would offer it ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now