Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Incontinence in my 6 yo dd

(10 Posts)
busymumof2plus1 Tue 04-Oct-11 12:06:58

I am looking for advice on how to deal with my 6 yo dd, who has never been dry at night and suffers from frequent small (sometimes bigger) leakages every day. She also has frequent UTI's. She is being seen by a urologist, who says she has an "angry" bladder, he also insists that she is/or at some point was an infrequent voider, despite the fact that she now cant go for any longer than 1 hour without going to the toilet. She has had ultrasounds on her bladder and appears to be emptying well. But sometimes I can see that she only passes very little urine and has to go again within 1/2 hr. The urologist suggests the problem will resolve itself if she goes to the toilet at set times, but although we are trying to get into a routine, the fact that she wets sometimes within 1/2 hr of going is not really helping. The problem is showing absolutely no signs of getting any better, if not worse. It is creating social problems for her at school and when she stays over with friends. Help!!!!

ICantFindAFreeNickName Wed 05-Oct-11 00:17:48

It's just a thought, but check what she drinks very carefully. My DS was very similar to your DD, then when he stopped drinking blackcurrant juice (the one thats kind to teeth) his problem cleared up in days. It saddens me to think of all the visits to hospital, bladder tests etc he went through, as well as the social problems - not wanting to do sleepovers etc, just because we let him drink a particular juice.

busymumof2plus1 Wed 05-Oct-11 14:07:17

Thanks for your advice ICantFindAFreeNickName. Sadly we are already off all purple coloured (or any other colour for that matter) and fizzy drinks.

Jammygal Wed 05-Oct-11 22:17:05

My dd was like that with orange juice! so be careful with that too ;) Try some cranberry and see if it helps ;)

rabbitstew Thu 06-Oct-11 07:57:37

It sounds like urge incontinence, which is often initially provoked by urine infections. Have you not been referred to an eneuresis clinic to help you come up with a treatment programme? I think the general first approach is to drink plenty during the day (but not things that could irritate the bladder, as already discussed) and go to the loo at timed intervals that are gradually increased as the bladder learns to cope with it. Having some support to do it would no doubt be helpful for you, though. You could also contact ERIC, the childhood incontinence charity, and ask for their advice. I think even some foods can provoke a bladder that is very irritable.

mankymummymoo Thu 06-Oct-11 08:03:34

have you had her bowel checked - my son had similar problems (although had wet bowel leakages too) and was diagnosed with Faecal Impaction. The blocked colon was pressing on the bladder.

busymumof2plus1 Thu 06-Oct-11 11:16:59

Thanks everyone for your good advice. "rabbitstew"- I will check out the Eneuresis Clinic suggestion, because so far this has not come up. We are trying to get to set times despite the frequent accidents. I will also get in touch with ERIC - thanks.

magso Thu 06-Oct-11 13:53:42

My son has continance and constipation issues ( he is alot older) and now sees a paediatrician with an interest in continance. He has medication ( oxybutanine) to tone his bladder and another medication ( desmopressin)for night time use. The eneuesis clinic may not see a child as young as 6 but its always worth a try. There may be a continance nurse associated with your local childrens ward or community nurses. I found the continance nurses very helpful. Good luck!

busymumof2plus1 Fri 07-Oct-11 13:19:11

Hey magso, yes, I think the eneuresis clinics are for children 7 and over, they dont really start taking this issue particularly seriously until that age. I just feel so terribly helpless and consequently stressed, which is not the right thing to be for your child. Continency nurse might be the way forward.

magso Fri 07-Oct-11 18:26:13

The school nurse may be able to advise depending on her interest and experience - for instance in putting help at school in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now