Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How do i deal with a possible broken finger..

(8 Posts)
PersonalClown Mon 03-Oct-11 11:28:42

without spending all day in A&E??

Ds managed to shut my hand in the car door yesterday and by that I mean fully close the door with my hand between the door and bar.

The swelling has gone down and I have almost full range of motion.

The issue is that the pain comes and goes and I can't grip properly. Its like my middle and ring fingers cant handle the work and pain shoots in my knuckles and I have to let go of what I'm holding.

A&E will only xray and buddy strap them and tell me to rest them, won't they?
I really don't want to sit for hours and waste their time over something I can deal with here.

bagelmonkey Mon 03-Oct-11 18:32:14

Buddy strap it to the finger next to it. Keep it elevated whenever possible to reduce swelling. Eat plenty of chocolate.
If you have a good range of motion at the joint (albeit with pain right now) they probably wouldn't do anything else unless you were a concert pianist or it was your dominant hand and you were an artist/architect etc.

Maryz Mon 03-Oct-11 18:36:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Mon 03-Oct-11 18:36:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 03-Oct-11 18:37:29

No, a&e will x ray and assess if you need surgery. You really ought to go. A friend of mine needed an op after a minor break. Depends where exactly is broken.

PersonalClown Mon 03-Oct-11 19:32:29

Just come back to this. Thanks all.

No pain except if I catch the middle finger knuckle.

I gave up the cello years ages ago due to early arthritis!!

TittyBojangles Mon 03-Oct-11 19:37:37

You could go to your GP, get them to refer you for an xray (unlikely to be same day), but if in the meantime you feel like it has got better then you can cancel the appt. If not then go, have the xray and if it is broken the radiographer should refer you round to a and e so at least you'll know you aren't wasting their time if this is what you are worried about. Alternatively the GP may refer you direct to fracture clinic if it is broken.

PersonalClown Mon 03-Oct-11 20:41:00

Ooooh Thanks for that TB.
My GP surgery is great. I'll nip round in the morning to book an appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: