Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had surgery to correct overbite and straighten teeth?

(4 Posts)
meala Sun 02-Oct-11 17:33:45

After Dr Bass' Q and A on mumsnet and my third suggestion that this is the only way for me to have straight teeth and a nice smile I am looking for some opinions on this. The procedure seems to be a brace for one year followed by jaw surgery and then another brace for a year.

I was wondering if anyone has had this procedure and, if you had, would you recommend it? Are the results very good. Is the surgery very painful?

Thanks in advance for any responses, I would love to hear any experiences of this - positive or negative.

taokiddy Sun 02-Oct-11 17:45:43

I had jaw surgery in March after wearing a brace for about 18 months. Mine was for an underbite and jaw protuding to one side. The surgery took about 4 hours I think and I remember there was quite a bit of blood when I first came round. The swelling was quite extreme but only lasted a week or so at that level. I was in hospital overnight. The swelling went down gradually over the next few weeks. I didn't experience any pain whatsoever wierdly.
I didn't have the children at home with me for the first week as you do need a proper rest but after that it was business as usual. The worst thing was not being able to eat as your jaws are banded together! And you do have to be careful you're getting enough calories to heal so it was lots of soups, energy drinks and smoothies.
I did lots of research before making the decision to go ahead so I knew what to expect. The difference to my face is huge and my confidence has soared. I could never look people in the eye or stand anyone looking at me because I felt so ugly. So i'm thrilled with the result smile

meala Sun 02-Oct-11 17:59:37

Thanks Taokiddy,

That's great that you have had such a positive outcome and no pain too, that's amazing smile. How long were you unable to eat properly?

I empathise when you're talking about a lack of confidence. I feel that my teeth are awful and would love to have them fixed but am so unsure about thesurgery option.

meala Sun 02-Oct-11 21:11:16

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now