Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Beetroot or blood?!

(7 Posts)
Allboxedin Sun 02-Oct-11 09:33:56

Sorry for TMI beforehand!

Right well I am nearly 38 weeks pregnant. Yesterday evening we had some beetroot for tea. In the middle of the night I got up to go to the loo and the contents were stained like dark red and even the water a bit too and tissue paper. I went again this morning and had the same.
I do have piles to complicate things but am pretty sure its not them as it was mixed in and darker than what piles usually make it.

So now I am confused as to whether this is the beetroot I ate last night or if it is blood (which I have had a couple of times in the past,though not for a long time)

phew! blush

I'd say beetroot, especially if it's dark like you say. If the next wee is coloured, then maybe not but I sometimes forget we've had beetroot then it's shock for a second or two till I remember!!!!

Grumpla Sun 02-Oct-11 09:41:44

Can you (ahem) sniff it?

Blood smells of blood. Beetroot wee smells of wee.

I think it's probably beetroot, btw!

Allboxedin Sun 02-Oct-11 09:43:04

It wasnt wee though meow! blush .....the other end!

Haggisfish Sun 02-Oct-11 09:55:07

Beetroot! I also have a 'aaargh, am bleeding horribly from my bottom' moment until I remember.

Allboxedin Sun 02-Oct-11 09:56:18

I just googled a bit and it came up with beeturia....the staining of urine and stools!

EdithWeston Sun 02-Oct-11 09:59:19

I think beetroot.

Blood from piles would be fresh red, and blood that had been digested is pretty much black. Dark red/purple is beetroot coloured.

But of course, we haven't seen it, and you have. And you say you've had blood in stools before. You sound worried, so at 38 weeks, I'd suggest ringing your MW team and asking someone you know is qualified about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now